George M. Middius

Default Question for the Ferstlerian

Harold, this question should be right up your alley, even though it's in
the nature of what you quaintly call "shopping advice". I will note, note,
that advice about my question is welcome from anybody, including Ferstler,
but I will also utter the caveat that any response from Krooger will be
dismissed summarily.

I want to upgrade my surround preamp. My Lexicon is getting long in the
tooth, and I might want to try out 7.1 or 7.2 surround. (Don't have the
speakers yet, but I'll have to match my existing speakers, so that's not
really an issue.) My other priorities are minimal -- I don't need a phono
stage, I don't need Zone 2 distribution, and I don't need dual subs. A
tuner would be a plus, a learning remote is unnecessary, but OSD is
valuable to me. Another plus would be component video switching.

The main concern is price. I'm open to buying used; in fact, that's my
preference, since it's favorable in terms of bang for the buck.

Howard Ferstler

"George M. Middius" wrote:

[...]

Shop around for a more recent Lexicon unit (possibly used),
although I will admit that the models that followed the DC-1
got more and more out of reach for guys like you and me.
Actually, that DC-1 ought to still be pretty competitive
when it comes to musical work. But, yes, if you want
component switching you need an upgrade.

A big Yamaha receiver (a used RX-Z1, for example) would work
just fine. It would also include DPL II, although not the
latest IIx version. The very latest RX-Z9 receiver is a bit
rich for my blood, but maybe you can afford it. Unlike all
previous Yamaha units, it is THX Ultra certified.

Yeah, I like Yamaha, mainly because it seems to have the
best balance for working with two-channel music sources and
simulating surround sound. However, the Lexicon Music Logic
function is still a fabulous feature, and the DC-1 does have
that, as do the later versions.

Howard Ferstler
George M. Middius

Poor Howard Ferstler said:

[...]

Harold, you nitwit, I don't have a DC-1.

A big Yamaha receiver (a used RX-Z1, for example) would work
just fine. It would also include DPL II, although not the
latest IIx version. The very latest RX-Z9 receiver is a bit
rich for my blood, but maybe you can afford it. Unlike all
previous Yamaha units, it is THX Ultra certified.

Yuck.

Yeah, I like Yamaha, mainly because it seems to have the
best balance for working with two-channel music sources and
simulating surround sound. However, the Lexicon Music Logic
function is still a fabulous feature, and the DC-1 does have
that, as do the later versions.

God, you are out of touch.

Howard Ferstler

"George M. Middius" wrote:

Poor Howard Ferstler said:

[...]

Hmmmm. I could swear that somewhere in the past I read where
you had a DC-1. If you do not, too bad. You do not know what
you are missing.

A big Yamaha receiver (a used RX-Z1, for example) would work
just fine. It would also include DPL II, although not the
latest IIx version. The very latest RX-Z9 receiver is a bit
rich for my blood, but maybe you can afford it. Unlike all
previous Yamaha units, it is THX Ultra certified.

Yuck.

No doubt you are very familiar with the unit and have
listened to it extensively and compared it closely with
other models. I did this, by the way, and even compared the
older DSP-A1 version (an integrated amp, actually, and not a
receiver) against the DC-1. Did a regular series of A/B
comparisons between the front-channel steering abilities of
each unit. Too bad you missed those.

Yeah, I like Yamaha, mainly because it seems to have the
best balance for working with two-channel music sources and
simulating surround sound. However, the Lexicon Music Logic
function is still a fabulous feature, and the DC-1 does have
that, as do the later versions.

God, you are out of touch.

I am pretty sure that all you wanted to initially do with
petty, and proto-witty comments.

I should have known.

Howard Ferstler

George M. Middius

Brother Horace the Clueless whined:

Harold, you nitwit, I don't have a DC-1.

Hmmmm. I could swear that somewhere in the past I read where
you had a DC-1. If you do not, too bad. You do not know what
you are missing.

That's like saying if you don't have a Chevy Monte Carlo, you don't know
what you're missing. Even if you drive a 911. You are *so* clueless. If the
Clue Store called to say they were having a 2-for-1 special, you'd probably
say you can only afford one clue.

A big Yamaha receiver

Yuck.

No doubt you are very familiar with the unit

Dork. It's too expensive even on top of being not what I want.

against the DC-1.

Idiot.

the DC-1

God, you are out of touch.

I am pretty sure that all you wanted to initially do with
petty, and proto-witty comments.

Not true, moron. I was hoping you'd have some advice on obtaining
comparable performance to my Lexicon but with some of the newer surround
features.

I should have known.

No, I should have known.

I've already done some of my own research. The best choices I've found
under $1500 are Adcom, Rotel, and Marantz. Of course you don't know
anything about any of their models, being both clueless and useless. Do you
know where the Outlaw 950 falls short?

George M. Middius

Brother Horace "Bwian is my hero" the Overly Dim said:

An appropriate response to questions from a guy like

You are officially pals with RAO's resident psychopath. And Krooger the
pedophile, of course. Does that give you a warm fuzzy, Clerkie?

Clyde Slick

"George M. Middius" wrote in message

You are officially pals with RAO's resident psychopath. And Krooger the
pedophile, of course. Does that give you a warm fuzzy, Clerkie?

I don't think so, being that Howie is a bit past 14.

Howard Ferstler

"George M. Middius" wrote:

Brother Horace the Clueless whined:

A big Yamaha receiver

Yuck.

No doubt you are very familiar with the unit

Dork. It's too expensive even on top of being not what I want.

So, your "Yuck" is conjecture.

against the DC-1.

Idiot.

OK, so I do not closely follow your purchasing decisions.
So, just what Lexicon unit do you own? I am pretty certain
that someone here, quite some time ago, said that you owned
a DC-1. If you have one of the earlier units it is time to
upgrade. If you have one of the later processors, you will
be a fool to upgrade at this time.

I am pretty sure that all you wanted to initially do with
petty, and proto-witty comments.

Not true, moron.

Mean, petty, and proto-witty. I rest my case.

I've already done some of my own research. The best choices I've found
under $1500 are Adcom, Rotel, and Marantz. Of course you don't know
anything about any of their models, being both clueless and useless.

I have not reviewed any of them. However, assuming that they
have the usual required features (especially DPL II, if you
are truly interested in music reproduction), any of them
should work just fine.

Do you
know where the Outlaw 950 falls short?

I reviewed the 1050 receiver in issue 86 of The Sensible
Sound. I did find some problems (some of them rather odd),
but you will have to read the review to see what they were.
As for the 950, I have no idea of its capabilities.

Howard Ferstler

George M. Middius

Brother Horace the Clueless (Redux) puled:

Dork. It's too expensive even on top of being not what I want.

So, your "Yuck" is conjecture.

Doesn't it ring a bell though? It's the same reaction you get when you nag
people to read your "published stuff". We all know that as far as
Ferstler's prose, if it drones like Ferstler and bores like Ferstler and
prattles like Ferstler, it's the same old Ferstler.

against the DC-1.

Idiot.

OK, so I do not closely follow your purchasing decisions.
So, just what Lexicon unit do you own? I am pretty certain
that someone here, quite some time ago, said that you owned
a DC-1. If you have one of the earlier units it is time to
upgrade. If you have one of the later processors, you will
be a fool to upgrade at this time.

Do tell. Really. If you have anything useful to contribute, let it out.
Bear in mind that the unit I have, which is an MC-1 as you should well know
because I've talked about it several times, does not have component video
switching or 7-channel surround. Or a tuner.

Not true, moron.

Mean, petty, and proto-witty. I rest my case.

But Harold, you ineffable jackass, you puff yourself up constantly by
calling people "moron" as well as other puerile names. Can't I be just as
mean and petty as you are, and still keep my stellar wit?

I've already done some of my own research. The best choices I've found
under $1500 are Adcom, Rotel, and Marantz. Of course you don't know
anything about any of their models, being both clueless and useless.

I have not reviewed any of them. However, assuming that they
have the usual required features (especially DPL II, if you
are truly interested in music reproduction), any of them
should work just fine.

Do they have component video switching, sufficient digital coaxial audio
inputs, OSD, 7-channel surround, and a tuner? Huh? Do they? Do you know
which models are out, and which of them have which features? Do you have
even a hint of a shadow of a ghost of a clue?

Do you know where the Outlaw 950 falls short?

As for the 950, I have no idea of its capabilities.

Then you should hang your head in shame, and also shut your yapping gob.

dave weil

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:39:56 -0500, Howard Ferstler
wrote:

Yuck.

No doubt you are very familiar with the unit and have
listened to it extensively and compared it closely with
other models.

You mean like you are with Quad speakers, right?
George M. Middius

dave weil said:

Yuck.

No doubt you are very familiar with the unit and have
listened to it extensively and compared it closely with
other models.

You mean like you are with Quad speakers, right?

Ferstler's Law of Pompous Pronunciamentos states that unless you've read
every single article he's ever written for any magazine anywhere, you can't
know for sure what his opinions are.

Howard Ferstler

"George M. Middius" wrote:

Brother Horace the Clueless (Redux) puled:

OK, so I do not closely follow your purchasing decisions.
So, just what Lexicon unit do you own? I am pretty certain
that someone here, quite some time ago, said that you owned
a DC-1. If you have one of the earlier units it is time to
upgrade. If you have one of the later processors, you will
be a fool to upgrade at this time.

Do tell. Really. If you have anything useful to contribute, let it out.
Bear in mind that the unit I have, which is an MC-1 as you should well know
because I've talked about it several times, does not have component video
switching or 7-channel surround. Or a tuner.

You can add a tuner. The MC-1 should already have seven
channels: L,C, and R up front, plus the two side surrounds
and the two back surrounds. It has the Logic-7 circuit, and
that requires those seven outputs.

As for component switching, well, yes, if you have a
super-duper TV it would pay to add that option. I will say
that any of the other units you mentioned will probably not
be able to match the Logic-7 or Music Logic circuits when it
comes to dealing with the generation of surround sound from
two-channel sources. On the other hand, the Yamaha units I
have reviewed can give those Lexicon functions genuine
competition, at least with some room/speaker configurations.

Not true, moron.

Mean, petty, and proto-witty. I rest my case.

But Harold, you ineffable jackass, you puff yourself up constantly by
calling people "moron" as well as other puerile names.

In my usage, this is not name calling. This is accurately
describing audio nitwits.

Can't I be just as
mean and petty as you are, and still keep my stellar wit?

You ain't all that witty, Middius.

I've already done some of my own research. The best choices I've found
under $1500 are Adcom, Rotel, and Marantz. Of course you don't know
anything about any of their models, being both clueless and useless.

I have not reviewed any of them. However, assuming that they
have the usual required features (especially DPL II, if you
are truly interested in music reproduction), any of them
should work just fine.

Do they have component video switching, sufficient digital coaxial audio
inputs, OSD, 7-channel surround, and a tuner? Huh? Do they? Do you know
which models are out, and which of them have which features? Do you have
even a hint of a shadow of a ghost of a clue?

Well, they probably have component switching, and the
required number of inputs. Their OSD features are probably
OK, but I rather prefer a decent front-panel readout for
music listening. As I noted elsewhere, you can purchase a
separate tuner. Regarding their 7-channel abilities, all
probably fall short of what the MC-1 can do with two-channel
surround synthesizing. Most AV receivers cannot do all that
well, although if they have DPL II they probably are good
enough for you.

Do you know where the Outlaw 950 falls short?

As for the 950, I have no idea of its capabilities.

Then you should hang your head in shame, and also shut your yapping gob.

I get the impression that your alternative sockpuppet handle
was once Roy Briggs.

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

wrote:

Yuck.

No doubt you are very familiar with the unit and have
listened to it extensively and compared it closely with
other models.

You mean like you are with Quad speakers, right?

We do need to remember that I never bad mouthed those
speakers and never said that they would not stand up against
competing models. I left the topic open.

What I did say is that on a tape I have of a Floyd Toole
lecture he did not have much good to say about Quad
speakers. Given his feelings about imaging, soundstaging,
flat response, and controlled dispersion, one would have to
wonder about what the Quads could do that would matter to
objective listeners.

But, who knows, perhaps they are sensational.

Howard Ferstler

Howard Ferstler

"George M. Middius" wrote:

dave weil said:

Yuck.

No doubt you are very familiar with the unit and have
listened to it extensively and compared it closely with
other models.

You mean like you are with Quad speakers, right?

Ferstler's Law of Pompous Pronunciamentos states that unless you've read
every single article he's ever written for any magazine anywhere, you can't
know for sure what his opinions are.

Get busy.

Howard Ferstler
EddieM

Howard Ferstler wrote
"George M. Middius" wrote:
dave weil said:

Yuck.

No doubt you are very familiar with the unit and have
listened to it extensively and compared it closely with
other models.

You mean like you are with Quad speakers, right?

Ferstler's Law of Pompous Pronunciamentos states that unless you've read
every single article he's ever written for any magazine anywhere, you can't
know for sure what his opinions are.

Get busy.

Howard Ferstler

Do you feel ashamed of yourself sometimes?

Howard Ferstler

EddieM wrote:

Do you feel ashamed of yourself sometimes?

I am beginning to feel ashamed of wasting my time discussing
audio with you, pinhead.

Howard Ferstler
George M. Middius

Brother Horace the Infinitely Self-Aware cranked:

But Harold, you ineffable jackass, you puff yourself up constantly by
calling people "moron" as well as other puerile names.

In my usage, this is not name calling. This is accurately
describing audio nitwits.

Unless your values are wrong, and in reality it's you who's the nitwit.
Unfortunately, you have proven yourself obdurately resistant to any kind of
assault by reality, so you will no doubt continue to wallow in your
blissless pit of infamy and ignorance.

Can't I be just as
mean and petty as you are, and still keep my stellar wit?

You ain't all that witty, Middius.

But you are fitfully religious, which is ten times worse.

Do they have component video switching, sufficient digital coaxial audio
inputs, OSD, 7-channel surround, and a tuner? Huh? Do they? Do you know
which models are out, and which of them have which features? Do you have
even a hint of a shadow of a ghost of a clue?

Well, they probably

Idiot.

If you don't believe you're being idiotic, ask dave to explain it to you.

Moron.

George M. Middius

Brother Horace the Ever-Hornier begged:

Ferstler's Law of Pompous Pronunciamentos states that unless you've read
every single article he's ever written for any magazine anywhere, you can't
know for sure what his opinions are.

Get busy.

Get in line behind Lionella.

George M. Middius

Brother Horace the Despicable said:

Do you feel ashamed of yourself sometimes?

I am beginning to feel ashamed of wasting my time discussing
audio with you, pinhead.

I think he was referring to your documented history of plagiarism, false
attributions, obnoxious behavior, and theft of intellectual property.

Howard Ferstler

"George M. Middius" wrote:

Brother Horace the Infinitely Self-Aware cranked:

But Harold, you ineffable jackass, you puff yourself up constantly by
calling people "moron" as well as other puerile names.

In my usage, this is not name calling. This is accurately
describing audio nitwits.

Unless your values are wrong, and in reality it's you who's the nitwit.
Unfortunately, you have proven yourself obdurately resistant to any kind of
assault by reality,

And yet I still get articles published, have had four books
published, and have helped to edit (with my name on the
title page, yet) a rather large audio-related encyclopedia.
Will wonders ever cease?

Just for curiosity's sake, how many books and magazine
articles have you had published, tweako?

so you will no doubt continue to wallow in your
blissless pit of infamy and ignorance.

And be proud of all of the above-noted publications, and be
happy that my having done all of that must drive you nuts.

Can't I be just as
mean and petty as you are, and still keep my stellar wit?

You ain't all that witty, Middius.

But you are fitfully religious, which is ten times worse.

At least I do not believe in the audio equivalent of the
tooth fairy, like you and your crazy, fellow lunkheads do,
tweako. Actually, if you knew anything about me you would
realize that I am the antithesis of religious.

And you are a pest.

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

"George M. Middius" wrote:

Brother Horace the Despicable said:

I am beginning to feel ashamed of wasting my time discussing
audio with you, pinhead.

I think he was referring to your documented history of plagiarism, false
attributions, obnoxious behavior, and theft of intellectual property.

And yet still published and publishing.

Go cry in your beer, pinhead.

Howard Ferstler
George M. Middius

Brother Horace the Aphasic said:

Unless your values are wrong, and in reality it's you who's the nitwit.
Unfortunately, you have proven yourself obdurately resistant to any kind of
assault by reality,

And yet I still get articles published

And you're consistently unable to address your many shortcomings.

George M. Middius

Brother Horace the Infantile said:

I am beginning to feel ashamed of wasting my time discussing
audio with you, pinhead.

I think he was referring to your documented history of plagiarism, false
attributions, obnoxious behavior, and theft of intellectual property.

And yet still published

More to the point, absymally lacking in any trace of self-awareness.

The petty, spiteful nutball posting as "George M. Middius" goes for the
Big Enchilada of baseless allegations:

snipped

history of plagiarism,

false attributions,

theft of intellectual property.

So many accusations, so little proof. :-0

Howard Ferstler

"George M. Middius" wrote:

Brother Horace the Aphasic said:

Unless your values are wrong, and in reality it's you who's the nitwit.
Unfortunately, you have proven yourself obdurately resistant to any kind of
assault by reality,

And yet I still get articles published

And you're consistently unable to address your many shortcomings.

Look who's talking!

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

"George M. Middius" wrote:

Brother Horace the Infantile said:

I am beginning to feel ashamed of wasting my time discussing
audio with you, pinhead.

I think he was referring to your documented history of plagiarism, false
attributions, obnoxious behavior, and theft of intellectual property.

And yet still published

More to the point, absymally lacking in any trace of self-awareness.

But still published, tweako.

Howard Ferstler
George M. Middius

Brother Horace the Lowdown wallows in the mud.

When all else fails, grasp for straws.

Or facts. Not surprising you can't tell the difference.

So let's count up your admirers, Clerkie: You've got a pedophile and
compulsive liar, a pseudonymous ****-eater who lives in his daddy's
basement at the age of 48, an envy-choked sewer cleaner who is a paragon of
pathos, and a grown man who's borderline illiterate and who gobbles six
dozen pills per day while drooling on his bib. Wow, that's impressive. Too
bad none of them can afford to buy your books. ;-)

Tom

wrote

:-0

Look, Arny!!! I told you!!!!

He popped in for a slurpy!!!

dave weil

wrote:

Yuck.

No doubt you are very familiar with the unit and have
listened to it extensively and compared it closely with
other models.

You mean like you are with Quad speakers, right?

We do need to remember that I never bad mouthed those
speakers and never said that they would not stand up against
competing models. I left the topic open.

Read your next sentence.

What I did say is that on a tape I have of a Floyd Toole
lecture he did not have much good to say about Quad
speakers. Given his feelings about imaging, soundstaging,
flat response, and controlled dispersion, one would have to
wonder about what the Quads could do that would matter to
objective listeners.

But, who knows, perhaps they are sensational.

They are. But it's likely that you'll never know, since you seem
afraid of them.
Arny Krueger

"George M. Middius" wrote in message

Brother Horace the Aphasic said:

Unless your values are wrong, and in reality it's you who's the
nitwit. Unfortunately, you have proven yourself obdurately
resistant to any kind of assault by reality,

And yet I still get articles published

That's because you have something of merit to say.

Let's contrast that with what the Middius crowd have to say. Letsee,
what we've got from them is lies, profanity, hatred, and childish
name-calling.

And you're consistently unable to address your many shortcomings.

And you Middius, you're consistently unable to address your many
shortcomings. Got a *real* name? Got an address? Got a degree? Got a
profession? Got a job? Got a stereo system for which you're willing
to name the actual components, by brand and model? Got anything to
say about audio?

And yet I still get articles published, have had four books
published, and have helped to edit (with my name on the
title page, yet) a rather large audio-related encyclopedia.
Will wonders ever cease?

Just for curiosity's sake, how many books and magazine
articles have you had published, tweako?

Kryptonite!

Arny Krueger

"George M. Middius" wrote in message

Brother Horace the Lowdown wallows in the mud.

When all else fails, grasp for straws.

Or facts. Not surprising you can't tell the difference.

So let's count up your admirers, Clerkie: You've got a pedophile and
compulsive liar, a pseudonymous ****-eater who lives in his daddy's
basement at the age of 48, an envy-choked sewer cleaner who is a
paragon of pathos, and a grown man who's borderline illiterate and
who gobbles six dozen pills per day while drooling on his bib. Wow,
that's impressive. Too bad none of them can afford to buy your

books.
;-)

Let's talk about your admirer's, Middius. How many of them are your
sockpuppets? How many are guys you had a little private meeting with
down at the bath house?

Arny Krueger

"Tom" wrote in message

wrote

:-0

Look, Arny!!! I told you!!!!

He popped in for a slurpy!!!

You seriously need to get a life, Tom.

Ever think about audio?

Tom

Arny Krueger wrote:

You seriously need to get a life, Tom.

Ever think about audio?

That's funny.

Is there good money in audio? Richie hasn't done so well. At least
he's in the Ozarks where there's plenty o' good ol' boys to service his
needs.

Arny Krueger

"Tom" wrote in message
ups.com
Arny Krueger wrote:

You seriously need to get a life, Tom.

Ever think about audio?

That's funny.

Is there good money in audio? Richie hasn't done so well. At least
he's in the Ozarks where there's plenty o' good ol' boys to service
his needs.

Tom, you seem to be obsessed with this person you call Ruichie. Time
to get a life!

George M. Middius

Turd-on-a-Rope said:

Brother Horace the Lowdown wallows in the mud.

When all else fails, grasp for straws.

Or facts. Not surprising you can't tell the difference.

So let's count up your admirers, Clerkie: You've got a pedophile and
compulsive liar, a pseudonymous ****-eater who lives in his daddy's
basement at the age of 48, an envy-choked sewer cleaner who is a
paragon of pathos, and a grown man who's borderline illiterate and
who gobbles six dozen pills per day while drooling on his bib. Wow,
that's impressive. Too bad none of them can afford to buy your books.
;-)

Let's talk about your admirer's, Middius.

My admirer's what, Turdy? You dangled your possessive again.

How many are guys you had a little private meeting with
down at the bath house?

I forgot to mention that most of Ferstler's apologists fantasize about
getting ****ed by me. Thanks for the reminder, ClosetCaseBorg.

This post reformatted by the Resistance,
laboring tirelessly to de-Kroogerize Usenet.
Powell

"Arny Krueger" wrote

Exactly. Middius is such a frightened little man that he
won't even properly name the make and model of the
components in his stereo system.

You tried to impress this n.g. by saying that you
had recently purchased $15K in equipment and
then refused to disclose what the purchase was.
Did it make you feel important at the time you said
it, Arny ("frightened little man") ?