lm

Default What kind of mics pair for a vibraphone ?

Hi,
I'm wondering what could be a good choice for a pair of condenser
microphones, in order to record my vibraphone (not only, but mainly).
I was told that Gary Burton uses only his matched pair of U87. But I suppose
it will be hard to find a matched pair of these vintage mikes and perhaps a
little expansive (I don't play so well as this wonderful vibes player).
I thought about a pair of CMC6 Schoeps with an MK matched pair caps (OK,
it's quite expansive too...).
Which MK caps would be the more appropriate ? the standard MK4 ? or any
other one ?
My recorder is a DtD VS 2400 Roland with a DBX 386 preamp. Not wonderful,
but the only ones I own.
Thanks for your suggestions, remarks and all kind of answers.
Sorry for my poor english, I'm french...
Laurent.

Bob Olhsson

"lm" wrote in message
I was told that Gary Burton uses only his matched pair of U87. But I

suppose
it will be hard to find a matched pair of these vintage mikes and perhaps

little expansive (I don't play so well as this wonderful vibes player).
I thought about a pair of CMC6 Schoeps with an MK matched pair caps (OK,
it's quite expansive too...).

Neumann never sold matched pairs. The Schoeps are very nice.

As a wildcard, I'd try a pair of Beyer M-88s. A pair of Royer ribbons would
probably also sound really really good.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

Scott Dorsey

lm wrote:
I'm wondering what could be a good choice for a pair of condenser
microphones, in order to record my vibraphone (not only, but mainly).
I was told that Gary Burton uses only his matched pair of U87. But I suppose
it will be hard to find a matched pair of these vintage mikes and perhaps a
little expansive (I don't play so well as this wonderful vibes player).
I thought about a pair of CMC6 Schoeps with an MK matched pair caps (OK,
it's quite expansive too...).

If you are playing solo vibes, and you want to cut recordings of just
vibes with nothing else, I would go the Schoeps route.

The U87 is not a vintage microphone; it's a current production item and
you can just call Neumann and they'll ship you a brand new pair. But it
would not be my first choice on vibes.

Which MK caps would be the more appropriate ? the standard MK4 ? or any
other one ?

I would tend to go with the MK4 in most rooms, but it depends on the room.

My recorder is a DtD VS 2400 Roland with a DBX 386 preamp. Not wonderful,
but the only ones I own.
Thanks for your suggestions, remarks and all kind of answers.
Sorry for my poor english, I'm french...

Your English is just fine, but you need to rent some microphones and find
out what they sound like, and find out whether you want a neutral sound or
not.

John Marsden

and to throw in my $.02 on top of Bob's excellent suggestion - I just
finished a live to tape "straight ahead" jazz CD with an incredible young
vibe/piano player (he didn't play them both at the same time...), and I used
a pair of the AT4033's that sounded really nice, although in the past I've
used a U87 thru a Focusrite Red7 (I'm a HUGE fan of this preamp - anyone
else?) dead center, and a pair of AT4041 pencil mics on either side with
this player, and it also sounded really good. This time I used my pair of
U87s over the drum kit which also sounded incredible.

BUT, and this is a really big BUT... - this kid is SO good, I could throw up
SM57's and it would still sound special.

I'm hoping to have Bob Olhsson master this project when my client raises the
required cash for the job. It's that good.

--
John Marsden
Little-Big Sound

"Bob Olhsson" wrote in message
"lm" wrote in message
I was told that Gary Burton uses only his matched pair of U87. But I

suppose
it will be hard to find a matched pair of these vintage mikes and

perhaps
little expansive (I don't play so well as this wonderful vibes player).
I thought about a pair of CMC6 Schoeps with an MK matched pair caps (OK,
it's quite expansive too...).

Neumann never sold matched pairs. The Schoeps are very nice.

As a wildcard, I'd try a pair of Beyer M-88s. A pair of Royer ribbons

would
probably also sound really really good.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051
http://www.hyperback.com

lm

"Bob Olhsson" a écrit dans le message de
"lm" wrote in message

Thanks for your answer,

Neumann never sold matched pairs. The Schoeps are very nice.

Sorry I did'nt know, I suppose it ment with close serial numbers.

What kind of caps would you choose for the Schoeps ? I suppose cardïoid
one... but there are so much, and I have no way to compare all of them. I
only tried a CMC6/ MK4 which gave already good results being alone.

As a wildcard, I'd try a pair of Beyer M-88s. A pair of Royer ribbons

would
probably also sound really really good.

I don't know the M-88S.
I don't know why, but Beyer's products are'nt very commonly used here in
France.
I thougt about Royer too... but I would need to try all of those mics to
make me an opinion.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

lm

"Bob Olhsson" a écrit dans le message de
"lm" wrote in message

Thanks for your answer,

[...]

Kurt Albershardt

lm wrote:

A sound ingeneer used a pair of Red 7 with a pair of AKG 414 on my vibes a
couple of month ago.
The result was so clean that we had'nt to move the faders during the mix,
vibes even when playing soft was ever there.
But buying 2 of these units would only be a dream for me...

You might be able to do more than dream about an FMR RNP, which will be a major improvement over the preamps in your VS.

Does McQ have a French distributor who could arrange a demo? Given the current exchange rate tilt, I'd think US gear would be rather attractive to EU purchasers...

jnorman

if you go with the schoeps, i would suggest the mk41 caps over the
mk4's. the mk4's are pretty much flat in the diffuse field and thus,
can be a bit boomy in near field applications. i had a pair of cmc64s
for a while and can attest to their extremely nice build quality and
wonderful sound - you may also want to consider their mk2 omni caps:
some friends of mine swear by them. i am currently using DPA 4011s
which i find to very accurate, very flat, and pretty much the best
mics i've ever used, though i also love the 4006s - either of these
mics would be an excellent choice. another top-end contender for your
application is the sennhesiser mkh series. good luck.

ScotFraser

a Focusrite Red7 (I'm a HUGE fan of this preamp - anyone
else?)

Yeah sure. Got a pair. 1st choice on a lot of stuff.

Scott Fraser

lm

"Scott Dorsey" a écrit dans le message de
lm wrote:
If you are playing solo vibes, and you want to cut recordings of just
vibes with nothing else, I would go the Schoeps route.

The U87 is not a vintage microphone; it's a current production item and
you can just call Neumann and they'll ship you a brand new pair. But it
would not be my first choice on vibes.

I would tend to go with the MK4 in most rooms, but it depends on the room.

Your English is just fine, but you need to rent some microphones and find
out what they sound like, and find out whether you want a neutral sound or
not.

---

Thank you, Scott, for these invaluable informations.
Regards,
Laurent.

Luke Kaven

Who is it, John? Pass it along...