LiteJazz53

Default SACD with Balanced and Variable Multi-Channel Outputs

A few years ago I purchased a Sony CDP-XA7ES, which I connected directly to
a nice power amplifier, no pre-amp between the two. This CD player does
have two balanced outputs, however if you want to control the gain to your
amplifier, you must use the single ended outputs, which I did. The small
volume control on the front of the Sony is all I needed to do the job!

If this arrangement worked so well for so many people, why can't we have a
Multi-Channel SACD player with balanced outs for all (5) channels,
controlled by a single gain control on the front of the player, driving (5)
mono block amplifiers?? I asked this question to several prominent
amplifier manufacturers, and their response was, "who would want such a
player". Additionally, two manufacturers said the volume or gain control on
the SACD player would degrade the SACD signal so badly, this arrangement
could never even be a consideration.

For those of you out there that understand why the above is not a
possibility, I would like to hear why. With all the technology available,
nothing can control the volume of (5) SACD analog channels, fed directly
into a (5) channel power amp???

Thanks,

LiteJazz53

Bob Morein

On 6/11/04 14:31, in article ,
"LiteJazz53" wrote:

I purchased a Sony CDP-XA7ES, which I connected directly to
a nice power amplifier, no pre-amp between the two. This CD player does
have two balanced outputs, however if you want to control the gain to your
amplifier, you must use the single ended outputs, which I did. The small
volume control on the front of the Sony is all I needed to do the job!

So you grossly degraded the sound by using the crappy analog volume control
on the Sony instead of a properly designed preamp? And you wonder why you
can't get this same kind of crappy setup in a high resolution format?

Well, duh.

Bob

LiteJazz53

I'm trying to ask a simply question to someone with some knowledge, I
suppose I need to backtrack as a result of your post. In several high end
audio publications, connecting the CDP-XA7ES (standard CD player), was
highly recommended without a pre-amp, however there is something completely
different about doing this same thing with (5) channel SACD. Instead of
being a dog, why don't you simply explain WHY an analog or digital gain
control cannot be incorporated into an SACD player, where (5) variable
balanced outputs can be fed directly into (5) mono block power amplifiers?
Just the facts please, without all the nasty degrading sarcasm!