Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Hev

Default OT - Bush has clear mandate to govern from the right

"steve" wrote in message

WillStG wrote:

steve
I think "appeal" is the wrong term. For the most part, middle America
seems to be manipulated into voting out of fear, and the Republican
party is far better at creating issues that make them crazy afraid.
Saying things like Kerry would ban the Bible is true inspiration when it
comes to fear mongering.

Middle America heard that kind of insult thrown their way ad naseum
during
the election, and responded decisively to it at the ballot box. You
still
don't get it. If you tell people they are stupid, bigoted, just too
scared
to think straight if they vote for the other Party, you come off as
harsh,
shrill, unreasonable, manipulative and totally disrespectful for people
who
have honest policy disagreements with you.

That kind of thinking is the problem. People who get their panties in a
wad whenever reality collides with their ideology are exactly the
targets of Rove and co. Part of the manipulation is just what you stated
above, "those immoral liberals are insulting you, they say you're
stupid, etc." The real issues like jobs, healthcare, Social Security,
Federal deficit, how to conduct war on terror and other pressing issues
are glossed over and substituted with gay marriage, prayer in school,
ten commandments. That says to me that Middle America is being led into
having their personal beliefs put ahead of bigger, tougher issues that
our politicians really don't want to deal with. It's not really about
voting for one party or the other, but making both parties step up and
deal with the real issues facing America. As I see it, the strategy is
keeping us divided using ideologues like yourself, while our country
goes further down the drain.

Extremely nicely put Steve!

Instant runoff voting (
http://www.californiaaggie.com/article/?id=6177)
seems like the most popular idea to put the country back in the citizens
hands.

I recommend we move this conversation to rec.audio.opinion

--

-Hev
find me he