Joe Luttrell

Default Kenwood in-dash radio closes even though faceplate removed

I have a Kenwood KDC-X717, where you can remove the faceplate, or else
leave it in the dash. If you leave it in the dash, then the unit
closes in such a way that the faceplate is hidden.

What has happened to me is that I have removed the faceplate, but the
unit
has still closed, as if the faceplate is still inside. The manual says
to press on the upper left hand side of the unit, and then it is
supposed to open. But in my case, this doesn't work either.

Has anyone had this problem? And what's the way to get the unit to
open, so I can attach the faceplate?

Many thanks,

Joe Luttrell
Ampdoc

The microswitch under the plastic cover may have failed, or you may have a
defective ribbon cable from the main PCB to the front connector. Are you
sure you've pressed hard enough? Don't overdo it but I've seen these units
take substantial force to deflect the plastic cover enough to actuate the
switch underneath. Worst case you can always remove the top of the unit and
rotate the large gear on the face mech by hand and open it that way, or send
it in for repair.

--
Jammy Harbin
J & J Electronics, Inc.
"Joe Luttrell" wrote in message
om...
I have a Kenwood KDC-X717, where you can remove the faceplate, or else
leave it in the dash. If you leave it in the dash, then the unit
closes in such a way that the faceplate is hidden.

What has happened to me is that I have removed the faceplate, but the
unit
has still closed, as if the faceplate is still inside. The manual says
to press on the upper left hand side of the unit, and then it is
supposed to open. But in my case, this doesn't work either.

Has anyone had this problem? And what's the way to get the unit to
open, so I can attach the faceplate?

Many thanks,

Joe Luttrell

VietOne

I dont think its the cable, its probbaly an internal problem.

--
VietOne
VietOne's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=34899