Mark F

Default New radio - no AM reception

I replaced the factory radio on my 2004 Honda Accord LX with a
Pioneer DEH-5500MP. I used the mounting and wiring kit from
Crutchfield, which is a Metra 99-7862. With this setup I no
longer get AM reception. The antenna is snug and tight in the
socket of the new unit, and FM seems to be fine. The factory
unit had no problem with AM, and the AM on the Pioneer unit
worked fine in my older car. Could it be a grounding issue? If
so, would it just be to connect a wire from the car frame to the
Pioneer frame, or would that create a ground loop and other
problems?

To make manners worse, it appears that once the Metra mount kit
is snapped in, it is very hard to remove.

Other than that, it works great.

Mark F

It turns out I was getting no AM reception because I didn't have
the power antenna leads connected. Last time I dealt with power
antennas it referred to raising the antenna when the radio was
powered on, and since this car has the antenna in the rear
window, I didn't think it was needed. It turns out there is a
amplifier for the antenna and it is turned on by this signal.
With this connected it works fine.