Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mike Walker

Default Recording a Live band

Hi,
I'm helping a local band who have vocal, lead guitar, rhythm guitar and
drums.
As we are starting out we don't have much in the way of equipment, but we do
have a Studioworks mixer
with built in 200 watt amp, and 12 channels, also main and monitor speaker
outputs.
There is also a Rec Out which I have plugged into the Line In on my sound
card and recorded
direct to MP3 on my hard drive, crude but works.
Then burn the MP3 to CD.

My question is, what is the best way to record a live band?
Option1) Set up two mic's mix through another mixer and record to pc
Option2) Use Rec Out from mixer, works but levels not always right
Option3) Can multiple feeds (from 5 mics) be fed from the mic leads, split
so feeds
go to both the mixer/amp, and to the sound card(via the MIDI
port?!?)
Or do I need to save for a better solution?

Many thanks
Mike.