Posted to rec.audio.tech
ma ma is offline

Default "Y" connect two digital outputs

Hello friends,

Is it advisable to "Y" connect digital outputs (Coax digital)
of a SoundBlaster Audigy and a cable box (Motorola)
together & get the single outlet and connect it to digital
input of my surround sound system?

Would this damage any component if it does work?

If this is not a good idea, what else is available?
A link to a web page with info would be appreciated.

TIA
Mike

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland Serge Auckland is offline

ma wrote:
Hello friends,

Is it advisable to "Y" connect digital outputs (Coax digital)
of a SoundBlaster Audigy and a cable box (Motorola)
together & get the single outlet and connect it to digital
input of my surround sound system?

Would this damage any component if it does work?

If this is not a good idea, what else is available?
A link to a web page with info would be appreciated.

TIA
Mike

It's not advisable, as it won't work! Digital audio does not mix
directly, as the signals are not additive. In order to mix two digital
signals together you need a digital mixer (sorry, I don't mean to be
facetious) which will synchronise the two signals, possibly sample-rate
convert, and then mathematically mix them, as well as noise-shaping and
reducing back to 16-24 bits. They generally have faders and other
controls, not just a digital Y. They are not cheap, well over £1000, $1800.

S.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:20:54 GMT, "ma" wrote:

Hello friends,

Is it advisable to "Y" connect digital outputs (Coax digital)
of a SoundBlaster Audigy and a cable box (Motorola)
together & get the single outlet and connect it to digital
input of my surround sound system?

Would this damage any component if it does work?

It won't damage anything. But it won't work.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
ma ma is offline

Thanks for the reply.

Well, it is not a secret that I can not afford $1800.

But, I really do not want to mix them. I want to
hear one or the other, and I do not want to constantly
unplug from one and plug in to the other back & forth.

If I need to watch a movie from PC, then I want
to hear audio from SoundBlaster card, and if I
want to watch cable, then the audio need to be from
the cable box, but at no time from both at the same
time.

Is an audio switch available that I can manually switch
from one mode to another? If so what is it called?
(switch, I assume?)

Mike

"Serge Auckland" wrote in message
ma wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

Yes, there are digital switches out there. You might search using
switch, digital, audio and/or S/PDIF.

Kal

ma wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

ma wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Well, it is not a secret that I can not afford $1800.

But, I really do not want to mix them. I want to
hear one or the other, and I do not want to constantly
unplug from one and plug in to the other back & forth.

If I need to watch a movie from PC, then I want
to hear audio from SoundBlaster card, and if I
want to watch cable, then the audio need to be from
the cable box, but at no time from both at the same
time.

Is an audio switch available that I can manually switch
from one mode to another? If so what is it called?
(switch, I assume?)

Probably any old switch would work.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
plew@csus_abcdefghij.edu plew@csus_abcdefghij.edu is offline

Don't think you need a switch as it is already "built-in" in your
receiver via the source selection for the input sound. I've
had both a coax & optical "y-ed" at one time for both a stand-alone
cd recorder & dvd recorder & laser disc player & dvd player for
the configuration of what I wanted to do. My optical "y"
was purchased from Radio Shack; my coax "y" was "jury rigged".

The receiver's input source selection will only allow the selected
source to pass along the audio signals. Still would suggest that
the other sources not be sending any signals to the receiver at
the same time. Your receiver's manual should also explain how
the input source selection work.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"ma" wrote ...
Is it advisable to "Y" connect digital outputs (Coax digital)
of a SoundBlaster Audigy and a cable box (Motorola)
together & get the single outlet and connect it to digital
input of my surround sound system?

No. It won't work. Unless you seriously make sure
you have only one of those sources powered on at
any time. (Hint: This is not practical in the Real World)

Would this damage any component if it does work?

Maybe, but unlikely.

If this is not a good idea, what else is available?
A link to a web page with info would be appreciated.

Any old switch will likely do just fine.
For example These from Radio Shack:
15-1217 or 15-1982, likely several others, etc.
You may need adapters to use RCA cables, etc.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 20:00:36 -0400, Kalman Rubinson
wrote:

Yes, there are digital switches out there. You might search using
switch, digital, audio and/or S/PDIF.

Actually, any composite video switch will work as well.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.tech
ma ma is offline

I know what you are talking about.
In my case, all other input sources are taken
(TV, VCR, etc.).
The only open port is the "AUX" port that is SPDIF,
and I want to connect two sources to this port PC
digital audio and cable box digital spdif outputs via a
"Y" connector.

In this case I probably will need a switch. I found some
searching the Internet, but nothing appealing so far.

Thanks for all those kind people that replied to help.

Mike

wrote in message
Don't think you need a switch as it is already "built-in" in your
receiver via the source selection for the input sound. I've
had both a coax & optical "y-ed" at one time for both a stand-alone
cd recorder & dvd recorder & laser disc player & dvd player for
the configuration of what I wanted to do. My optical "y"
was purchased from Radio Shack; my coax "y" was "jury rigged".

The receiver's input source selection will only allow the selected
source to pass along the audio signals. Still would suggest that
the other sources not be sending any signals to the receiver at
the same time. Your receiver's manual should also explain how
the input source selection work.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

ma wrote:
[...]

A switch is no problem. I use exactly that myself to switch between two
digital sources. S-PDIF is an extremely rugged signal, and with short
domestic cable lengths and using 75 ohm cable, the impedance mismatch
due to the switch does not pose a problem. Mixing is difficult,
switching is easy.

S.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 23:53:56 GMT, "ma" wrote:

But, I really do not want to mix them. I want to
hear one or the other, and I do not want to constantly
unplug from one and plug in to the other back & forth.

So why didn't you say so? Parallel the screens and switch the signal
with a simple SPDT switch. If it doesn't work consider something
more complicated. But it probably will work.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
dezza dezza is offline

This little gadget may be suitable if One of your outputs is optical,
It can be used a number of ways. I use one to split the outgoing
signal, but it will still work for you I think, so long as you have
optical.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/CO2-main.html

Dezza.