Trader

Default Remote Car Start Advice Needed!

Hi,

I recently had an Avital remote start installed at Best Buy on a 99 Maxima.
I'm going back tomorrow to have it taken out. The unit has terrible range
and doesn't start the car most of the time. Now the key will not start the
car and the idiot installers didn't install a bypass or valet switch. My
wife was almost stranded. Anyway, I'm going to a shop that installs remote
start for dealers. He mostly carries Viper products which is a sister
company of the brand I have now, Avital. Should I shy away from DEI products
or is their Viper products in a different class? Also, another dealer is
pushing the Audiovox prestige which he claimed was rated #1. I need a
reliable remote start with maximum range. Any advice is appreciated.

Captain Howdy

I have a pair of DEI Valet starters that are about 3 years old. Both of them
are in their second car and still working great with a remote range of about
200-250 feet, angel and weather pending.

In article P8xCb.378850$275.1227727@attbi_s53, "Paul Vina"
wrote:
It's not the product, it's the dumbass installer that put it in. I've never
had a single problem with ANY DEI remote start products.

Paul Vina

"Trader" wrote in message
v.net...
[...]

Trader

Captain,

I've read of some units getting 1000 feet plus. I guess you have older
units so the range may have been limited to the technology of the day. My
Avital system is installed srong so my range is less then yours. It's
coming out today!

username

You can't necessarily say it's the installers fault on range. I mean if he
installed the antenna in the middle of the windsheild by the rear view
mirror, what else can he/they do? I put Avital's in all day long (usually
3-4 a day in an 8 hour shift), and the range just sucks on em! Now the
problem with the car not starting with the key, if it's the Avital 4200, you
have to unlock the car doors with the 4200 or the starter kill option is
still activated.

"Trader" wrote in message
[...]

Trader

I actually went back today and they fixed all the little problems but now I
have to decide if the unit has enough range. They installed the antenna in
the middle top of the windshield but it was right above my EZpass. This may
have caused the range to diminish. This time he mounted the antenna
vertically on the side of the windshield. Today I was at the back of the
grocery store and it didn't start. I want to see if I can get it to start
inside my school, where I work. We'll see. Do you have any opinions on the
Audiovox Prestige starters. Everyone else seems to be pushing this unit.
Are the prestige units with pagers any different then the non-pager units?

Thanks

"Trader" wrote in message
[...]

Captain Howdy

The DEI Valet came with normal remotes that came with the two botton Viper
alarms with a windshild mounted antenna. This unit does have about a 500 foot
range if you are outdoors with the front of the car in clear sight facing you
at ground level. Since the point of the car starter is to work from indoors,
it will do only 200 - 250 feet from anywhere within a brick house. You also
have to keep in mind that range is affected by the car, size of windshild and
the size and amount of other windows. The hight of the car. I have also found
that you will lose range with most alarms and staters if the car is facing
sideways, rather then the front or the rear of the car facing you. My only
quess is that it's because of the differance in window size. My Dad has a
Yukon SUV and the remote works well from any angle and it's only an Audiovox
starter/alarm combo. The range of the audiovox I have not tested past 300 feet
at which it worked without a problem from with the house.

In article , "Trader"
wrote:
Captain,

I've read of some units getting 1000 feet plus. I guess you have older
units so the range may have been limited to the technology of the day. My
Avital system is installed srong so my range is less then yours. It's
coming out today!

Trader

Hi,

Well the Avistal remote start has lousy range. I tried it in several
different locations and it doesn't want to start the car from inside stores.
I tried the bowling alley, grocery store, CVS and inside a school. It does
start the car from inside the house. I have till Sunday to decide to keep
the unit or have it removed. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience
with the Avistal or Audiovox prestige remote starter. I'm a little
dissapointed. But I don't want to have the system removed and an Audiovox
installed to find out it's no better then the Avital.

Thanks

Logan Parker

I work at a shop that installs CompuStar remote start systems, and the
1WAM-S unit from CompuStar is rated at a 2500ft range, and it'll get a good
1000-1500ft inside most buildings. May want to see if there's some local
guys near you that deal with the CompuStar systems. (www.compustar.org)

"Trader" wrote in message
.net...
Hi,

Well the Avistal remote start has lousy range. I tried it in several
different locations and it doesn't want to start the car from inside

stores.
I tried the bowling alley, grocery store, CVS and inside a school. It

does
start the car from inside the house. I have till Sunday to decide to keep
the unit or have it removed. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience
with the Avistal or Audiovox prestige remote starter. I'm a little
dissapointed. But I don't want to have the system removed and an Audiovox
installed to find out it's no better then the Avital.

Thanks

Need Help.....Clifford RS 3.5 Remote Start Mark S. Car Audio 7 November 27th 03 06:13 PM
Advice Needed Badly Sean Durbidge Car Audio 1 October 16th 03 09:00 PM
advice needed. sayduckshun Car Audio 0 October 14th 03 04:34 AM
Purchasing advice needed. Pioneer? DaTroopa Car Audio 6 September 9th 03 03:54 AM
Sony STR-DE575, remote selection of 5.1ch input Leadfoot General 0 August 24th 03 12:39 AM