Mike Livingstone

Default Alpine DVD setup with questions

Hi,

I currently own an Alpine 7894 HU (3 preouts) and am looking at adding the
DVA-5210 (Alpine's new in-dash DVD player) when it becomes available. I want
to experience the full theatre effect in my van so I was going to purchase
(on Ebay) an Alpine PXA-H510 surround processor. The question I have is, how
am I going to connect all of this together and still end up with my regular
two channel audio from my HU playing out of my system when I'm not using the
DVD ? Here is how my setup is planned:

New DVD connected to 7894 through AI-net
*new* Alpine processor connected to 7894 through Ai-net

The processor will then be connected to this equipment: Front channels =
Alpine MRV-300S bridged into 2 channels driving a set of coaxials

Rear channels = Some kind of low power amp powering rear coaxials

Subwoofer = Two Orion CS150.2's bridged into mono each driving a coil of a
Kicker Solo 12

Center channel = some low power amp with a center speaker

I can't figure out a way this will provide normal two-channel stereo when
listening to CD's etc...
Is there a setting on the Alpine processor that provides the two-channel
audio to the outputs?
What I basically want is the ability to listen to my CD's and MP3's in two
channel stereo, and my movies in 5.1
Am I missing something TOTALLY obvious ???

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Paul Vina

Yes, the fact that the 510 will know what type of signal it's receiving and
output the sound accordingly, just like your home receiver would. Just make
sure you use the optical connection from the 5210 to the 510 and an rca
connection from the HU to the 510 and you'll be all good.

Paul Vina

=
Alpine MRV-300S bridged into 2 channels driving a set of coaxials

Rear channels = Some kind of low power amp powering rear coaxials

Subwoofer = Two Orion CS150.2's bridged into mono each driving a coil of a
Kicker Solo 12

Center channel = some low power amp with a center speaker

I can't figure out a way this will provide normal two-channel stereo when
listening to CD's etc...
Is there a setting on the Alpine processor that provides the two-channel
audio to the outputs?
What I basically want is the ability to listen to my CD's and MP3's in two
channel stereo, and my movies in 5.1
Am I missing something TOTALLY obvious ???

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Pat M

You can do what Paul said but the way I hooked up my 7949 with a 5200 dvd
player was all through the 510 processor. The units will all be connected
via AI but then you will also have to run an optical cable from the 5210 to
the 510 processor. This is the only way it will give you audio since it
doesn't feed through the AI cable. If you run AI into the 510 unit then you
can not run rca into also. It is either or not both. As for running it in
simple 2 channel stereo when listening to the radio, cd's or mp3's you can
do that by shutting off Dolby Pro Logic on the 510 remote piece.. You will
set everything up that way there... If you have any other questions just
email me at since I don't check the group all
that much. Maybe every 2 weeks or so..

The way the system in my wife's Tahoe was wired was, 7949 to the 5200 then
into the 510 on the headunit input. The 624 changer into the changer input.
Optical was feed from all 3 units into the 510 processor... It will be
connected pretty much the same way into my F250 and then into my wife's
Excursion.. All of course with new Alpine gear.
--
Pat M.