Posted to rec.audio.misc
Maelmoro Maelmoro is offline

Default Simple audio acquisition

I want to record some old musics (cassettes) via RCA cable to PC
microphone: what program for Windows can I use?

Massimo
Posted to rec.audio.misc
UnsteadyKen UnsteadyKen is offline

Maelmoro said...

I want to record some old musics (cassettes) via RCA cable to PC
microphone: what program for Windows can I use?

Audacity is a good free program which I use for this, get it from:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

A short review here
http://podcasting.about.com/od/recor...fr/deepaud.htm

--
Ken O'Meara
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_3_] Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_3_] is offline

? "Maelmoro" ?????? ??? ??????
I want to record some old musics (cassettes) via RCA cable to PC
microphone: what program for Windows can I use?

Don't use the microphone input, you'll get much better results with the
line-in input (rear blue). After recording a whole side of the tape with
audacity, you can split the tracks with nero and then burn them on your cd.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Maelmoro Maelmoro is offline

line-in input (rear blue).

What is it? A dedicate input line? Isn't it the same than mic?

After recording a whole side of the tape with
audacity, you can split the tracks with nero and then burn them on your cd.

What format should I record my acquired audio in Audacity: WAVE?
MP3?.. what else?

My target is to have the max quality to store on a CD.

Massimo
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_3_] Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_3_] is offline

? "Maelmoro" ?????? ??? ??????
line-in input (rear blue).

What is it? A dedicate input line? Isn't it the same than mic?

Nope. There are 3 jacks, green (line out) blue (line in) and pink (mic in).
I presume that the mic in is amplified, and might also have a DC bias, for
the mics to work. It's a dedicated line-in, like the one any amp or tape
deck has. Usually green is in the middle, with blue being on the right and
pink on the left.
After recording a whole side of the tape with
audacity, you can split the tracks with nero and then burn them on your
cd.

What format should I record my acquired audio in Audacity: WAVE?
MP3?.. what else?

Audacity lets you save it in its proprietary fromat, audacity project. For
maximum quality you can export to .wav, for mp3 you'll need to download the
lame_enc.dll file (just google it)
My target is to have the max quality to store on a CD.

Wav then, and you can split it into tracks with nero or burn it directly
(.wav is CD standard)

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering
mechanized infantry reservist
hordad AT otenet DOT gr

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Geoff Geoff is offline

Maelmoro wrote:
line-in input (rear blue).

What is it? A dedicate input line? Isn't it the same than mic?

A Line Input is for connecting to a Line Output of (say) a cassette
recorder. a Mic input is for revording the much smaller signal fron, guess
what, a MICROPHONE ! A line output into a mic input will likely cause a huge
overload and distortion.

After recording a whole side of the tape with
audacity, you can split the tracks with nero and then burn them on
your cd.

What format should I record my acquired audio in Audacity: WAVE?
MP3?.. what else?

If you want quality and to CD then WAV cos MP3 loses musical information (
admittedly decreasingly at higher bitrates). However with cassette the
quality is likely very low anyway, so just use what format your CD burning
software prefers.

My target is to have the max quality to store on a CD.

Well it is unlikely to be better quality that the cassette was, unless you
do restoration. But if you needed to ask these questions, then that is way
beyond your level of expertise....

geoff