Bob Flint

Default Mic replacement question

Hi

I used a Shure SM82 mic to record my cousins guitar, and he loved the sound... wanted to get his own...

they haven't been made since the late 70s or early 80s...

It is a condenser mic with built in preamp/compressor/line driver... was used for field recording... basically flat
response... Lots of people say it does a good job on electric guitar...

Anyone know this mic? Maybe an SM80 or whatever is sold today would replace it?

And I'm wondering if he was influenced by the action of the compressor (or really limiter I guess) that was probably
activated by the SPL of the amp. That would be a monkey wrench in the works!!

He's just a college kid, budget in the hundreds, not thousands!!

Any suggestions appreciated. (PS he tried dynamics like the 57 but didn't like them.)

P Stamler

Anyone know this mic? Maybe an SM80 or whatever is sold today would replace
it?

The SM-80 was an omni condenser, same body as the SM-81 but a different
capsule. It's gone too, and in any case it had little in common with the 82.
Unfortunately, I don't know of any in-production equivalent to the SM-82. Try
e-bay.

Peace,
Paul
Rob Reedijk

Bob Flint wrote:

Hi
I used a Shure SM82 mic to record my cousins guitar, and he loved the sound... wanted to get his own...
they haven't been made since the late 70s or early 80s...
It is a condenser mic with built in preamp/compressor/line driver... was used for field recording... basically flat
response... Lots of people say it does a good job on electric guitar...
Anyone know this mic? Maybe an SM80 or whatever is sold today would replace it?

I know of an SM82 for sale in Toronto. Email me if you are interested and I will put you in touch with him.

Rob R.

Ty Ford

In Article , Bob Flint
wrote:

Hi

I used a Shure SM82 mic to record my cousins guitar, and he loved the sound...

wanted to get his own...

they haven't been made since the late 70s or early 80s...

It is a condenser mic with built in preamp/compressor/line driver... was used

for field recording... basically flat
response... Lots of people say it does a good job on electric guitar...

Anyone know this mic? Maybe an SM80 or whatever is sold today would replace it?

And I'm wondering if he was influenced by the action of the compressor (or

really limiter I guess) that was probably
activated by the SPL of the amp. That would be a monkey wrench in the works!!

He's just a college kid, budget in the hundreds, not thousands!!

Any suggestions appreciated. (PS he tried dynamics like the 57 but didn't like

them.)

Try the Audio Technica AE5100.

Regards,

Ty Ford

**Until the worm goes away, I have put "not" in front of my email address.
Please remove it if you want to email me directly.
For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford