Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Saw Chris Thile and Edgar Meyer at Carnegie Hall last night

Mike Rivers wrote:
Peter Larsen wrote:

Nah ... a small practice type drum kit has excellent mileage. And using
gentler implements to bash them there drums and cymbals with.

This is completely changing the sound and role of the drums. Some groups
can accommodate this, others can't, and some just plain don't wanna.
It's not just something you can tell them to do and they do it.

I think it's the other way around. The small practice-type kit is the
way trap sets used to be, before there was PA. What has happened is
that the availability of PA has changed the sound and role of the drums.

If we could do that, we could tell people to sing in tune and we
wouldn't have to tune vocals to keep up with the Britneys.

I do that all the time. Sometimes it is futile but I keep trying anyway.