Blacktick

Default Question ADAT RP-1 Chip replacement (Scott Dorsey?)

Is the rp-1 a hard replacement?
Where can I get one cheaply?

The person who will actually be doing it works in some state of the art pcb
factory, so lack of equipment is not going to be a problem, but this guy's
never done anything with the ADAT.

Thanks (probably Mr. Dorsey),
Paul

Klay Anderson

In article ,
"Blacktick" wrote:

Is the rp-1 a hard replacement?
Where can I get one cheaply?

The RP1 smd chip is on a small PCB inside the head stack itself. Replacing the
chip is no big deal if you have microsurgery soldering equipment and the
associated skills. Now, getting to the chip is a bit of a different story.
Once you have removed the head stack without soiling it or damaging it and taken
off the lock ring, shims, etc. and pulled the top drum off, you can get to the
chip. Then reassemble. Then note that without the proper test tape, 'scope,
instructions and *experience* your ADAT is now hopelessly out of alignment and
timing and there is no way with hope or prayer you'll get it back to where it
will make or play interchangeable tapes. You should get it to an experienced
service center.

As one of the first ADAT service centers I have done quite a few of these and
there are too many tricks to attempt to detail. Suffice it to say that if you
don't know WTF you're doing, leave it to a pro.

--
Regards,

Klay Anderson

http://www.klay.com
1.800.FOR.KLAY
Robert Stevens

I've had Stan at SMC do this for me on at least 2 machines if not 3. He
does a good job, but he may forget to ship your unit back to you so keep
bugin' him until you get your unit back. Generally about $180 for the
repair.