Techspert

Default McIntosh AMP... real deal ???

I was told by an installer shop that McIntosh amps are top of the line
and extremely clean; however, they also mentioned that McIntosh
overrates their power ratings and will not give you the kick or
dynamics of amps such as JL or the new MB Quarts-type amps.

Is there any truth to this?

I'm looking at possibly purchasing a McIntosh MC4000M 6-channel
locally that produces 4x100 and 2x300 watts. I'm gonna do MB Quarts
components and 1 13"JL W7 ported, OR 2 JL W6's in a sealed enclosure
in an '02 Range Rover. I'm hoping the McIntosh will be appropriate and
a perfect mate for this setup.
They're suggesting that their in-house JL 450.4 and JL 1000.1 would be
a better match.

I'm not worried about the money spent of the McIntosh in comparison to
the JL stuff, but I DO want the best sound.

Your comments and opinions are appreciated.

Thanx.
TheBIessedDead

I was told by an installer shop that McIntosh amps are top of the line
and extremely clean; however, they also mentioned that McIntosh
overrates their power ratings and will not give you the kick or
dynamics of amps such as JL or the new MB Quarts-type amps.

McIntosh won't give you the "kick"??? "Dymanics"?? What on earth is that
nonsense? Let me guess, this guy sells JL but not McIntosh? Sounds to me
like dude is just trying to make a sale.

Is there any truth to this?

You can research some somewhat recent threads discussing the sound differences
between amplifiers. Most of the more knowledgable folks around here agree that
differences in sound come from different power levels, and different features,
and thats about it. 2 amps that put out the same power, and have the same
features will sound the same. So, pick the amp that gives you the power you
want and the features you want, and best fits your budget. I know little about
McIntosh amps, but I highly doubt that they overrate their power.

I'm looking at possibly purchasing a McIntosh MC4000M 6-channel
locally that produces 4x100 and 2x300 watts. I'm gonna do MB Quarts
components and 1 13"JL W7 ported, OR 2 JL W6's in a sealed enclosure
in an '02 Range Rover. I'm hoping the McIntosh will be appropriate and
a perfect mate for this setup.
They're suggesting that their in-house JL 450.4 and JL 1000.1 would be
a better match.

Sounds to me like that McIntosh would do you just fine.

I'm not worried about the money spent of the McIntosh in comparison to
the JL stuff, but I DO want the best sound.

I've never used McIntosh, but from what I understand, you simply cannot go
wrong there. JL also makes a fine product, although I find it to be a bit
pricey. Personally, I would look at the features vs. the price, and decide
from there. You may also want to look around... I wouldn't limit yourself to
just those 2 products. There is plenty of great stuff out there for less
money. As long as it puts out the power you need, and has the features you
want, then go for it. Price isn't always a sign of quality in the car audio
world.

Nick
MZ

I was told by an installer shop that McIntosh amps are top of the line
and extremely clean; however, they also mentioned that McIntosh
overrates their power ratings and will not give you the kick or
dynamics of amps such as JL or the new MB Quarts-type amps.

Is there any truth to this?

There's no truth to any of what you said above.

putergod

That page doesnt exist...

--
putergod

frequency of Best Buy free installation deal ? flicker Car Audio 24 March 3rd 04 03:28 PM
FA: Sony XR-CA330 & CDX-757MX XPLOD - combo deal - cassette & CD 10 disc player! WingDings General 0 January 26th 04 05:32 AM
PRO TOOLS PLUGINS FOR SALE ALL 40 LOOK NOW AWESOME DEAL Jonathon General 0 November 7th 03 09:48 PM
real audio settings Ed Smith General 2 October 16th 03 04:38 PM
FS: McIntosh, AudioControl, Sony ES Jamie Pruden Car Audio 0 August 31st 03 03:49 AM