news.newshosting.com

Default Pioneer DEH-1500 - Clear reception, limited FM Stereo

I recently purchased a Pioneer DEH-1500 car stereo and am having problems
getting an FM stereo signal out of the unit, even when stations are coming
in loud and clear (in mono) with no noticable static. Only a select few of
the most powerful stations come through in full stereo, but even those will
very readily drop to mono when the antenna is moved even a small amount.
Switching the LOC setting on and off seems to have no effect, and I'm about
20 miles from the nearest broadcast tower so interference shouldn't be a
problem anyways.

Have tried two different antenna cables, both are perfectly fine. Nothing
wrong with the jack in the unit itself that I can detect either (without
opening it up). For antennas, I have used:
1) Just the antenna cables, no antenna attached
2) The car's antenna
3) A dipole antenna (indoors)
4) The roof antenna (indoors)

Naturally, the roof antenna yielded the best results, but the stereo kept
insisting on only providing stereo for a few stations, even with a very
large number of them coming in clearly in mono.

I called Pioneer and they suggested that the unit needs to be serviced, but
I don't want to find out that this is just how the unit works and have spent
more money on servicing than I did for the stereo in the first place.

Does anyone out there, possibly with a service manual and in-depth
understanding of the Supertuner IIID, know of a way that I could make the FM
tuner a bit more cooperative? I'm more than willing to open the unit up and
modify what's necessary given the right information. Also, if anybody else
here has a DEH-1500 I'd like to know if they are experiencing similar
problems. Thanks ahead for the help. :-)

Greg F.

David

I have no service manual or advice on what to mess with inside your radio.
Just providing a little info...

The 'LOC' or local/distant button on most (if not all) radios is used to
discriminate strong stations from weaker ones while using the 'seek' or
'scan' features. It has nothing to do with actually tuning in distant or
weaker stations.

I agree that the radio needs to be serviced. If you did recently purchase
it, send it in for warranty service or simply return it to the dealer for a
replacement...

David
UnderTheDash.com

"news.newshosting.com" wrote in message
m...
[...]

ampdoc

Check the spark arrestor AR401, make sure it reads open with an ohmmeter
(Take it out of circuit to do so) If that's OK you'll need a new tuner
module. No adjustment is required if the entire module is replaced, in fact
there are no alignment procedures in the service manual for anything other
than the CD mech. Part # FM/AM Tuner Unit CWE1646
Pioneer Parts = 1-800-457-2881

--
Jammy Harbin
J & J Electronics, Inc
[...]

Greg

Ordered a copy of the service manual, should be in tomorrow. Won't do
anything until I have that to be on the safe side. I bought the radio for
$80, the service manual with shipping was about $25, and if I order a new
tuner plus shipping i'm over the cost of going to the priciest retail outlet
I can find and having bought a brand new unit with full warranty in the
first place. Its always the experience that makes it all worthwhile though.
Money can be replaced, just takes away from the prospect of buying another
quality DC power supply to run the stereo wherever I want to around the
house :-)

Greg F.

"ampdoc" wrote in message
news
[...]

Greg

I'll keep that in mind later, heh. The unit might be under warranty
actually, so I'm gonna check on that. Either way, at least I have the book
now. First service manual I've ever purchased, can't hurt to have down the
road either since the warranty won't last forever. Thanks again for your
help.

Greg F.

"ampdoc" wrote in message
. ..
I would have put the PDF file of the manual on disc for you for half that
including usps shipping (in US) if you really wanted it! Ask and ye shall
receive...

"Greg" wrote in message
m...
Ordered a copy of the service manual, should be in tomorrow. Won't do
anything until I have that to be on the safe side. I bought the radio

for
$80, the service manual with shipping was about $25, and if I order a

new
tuner plus shipping i'm over the cost of going to the priciest retail

outlet
I can find and having bought a brand new unit with full warranty in the
first place. Its always the experience that makes it all worthwhile

though.
Money can be replaced, just takes away from the prospect of buying

another
quality DC power supply to run the stereo wherever I want to around the
house :-)

Greg F.

news