Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Doe[_2_] John Doe[_2_] is offline

Default Digital noise from speakers in flight simulator (X-Plane)

INFORMATION:

The JBL LSR305s make great PC speakers, zero noise, except when
playing a flight simulator (X-Plane).

Tried two different video cards, PNY GTX980 and MSI GTX960.
Tried built-in audio and Creative Rx soundcard
Tried a different speaker cable.

The noise corresponds to what is displayed on the screen. It
changes when a menu choice is selected. Sounds like an oscillator.

Neither of my monitors have an HDMI audio output jack.

QUESTIONS:

Should I try an HDMI pass-through with audio extractor?

The soundcard has SPDIF output. But I am having trouble finding an
inexpensive SPDIF input preamp for the powered speakers.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Doe[_2_] John Doe[_2_] is offline

Maybe something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ords=AV-086-BK

....for the SPDIF receiver from the soundcard?

Maybe that provides a way to move the speakers away from the PC,
like Bluetooth but without lag?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/19/2018 4:52 PM, John Doe wrote:

The JBL LSR305s make great PC speakers, zero noise, except when
playing a flight simulator (X-Plane).
The noise corresponds to what is displayed on the screen. It
changes when a menu choice is selected. Sounds like an oscillator.

Often that kind of noise comes in on the ground connection. How do you
have the speakers connected to your computer? Are you using the
computer's built-in sound card? An outboard (USB or something) audio
interface? Or are you taking an audio output from the video monitor that
picks audio off the HDMI video from the computer?

If your speakers are connected to an HDMI monitor, try a different audio
path, even the built-in sound card will give you more options. Best
would be an audio interface with a balanced line level output - this
would give you some opportunities for experimenting with disconnecting
grounds.

A cheap possible solution is a "ground isolator" that breaks the
physical connection between the computer ground and the speaker. I
tested one of these many years ago when I wrote an article on hum fixing
gadgets (I think it's on my web site), and this one had remarkably good
performance considering the price.

https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-Sy.../dp/B002YGM5D8

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Doe[_2_] John Doe[_2_] is offline

Okay, I will try the HDMI audio extractor. Thanks.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Doe[_2_] John Doe[_2_] is offline

FWIW... Before upgrading my main monitor last week, I tried the
built-in speakers and did not notice the noise. But difficult to
hear anything on those built-in monitor speakers.

The HDMI audio extractor (Tripp Lite P130-000-AUD4K6) should tell
that one. If there is still noise, through the 3.5 mm stereo output
jack, I will assume the SPDIF on the extractor link would not work
either, that the noise is introduced before that point.

I will lose the SoundBlaster equalizer software, using HDMI audio,
but I suppose there is a replacement.

I wrote:

INFORMATION:

The JBL LSR305s make great PC speakers, zero noise, except when
playing a flight simulator (X-Plane).

Tried two different video cards, PNY GTX980 and MSI GTX960.
Tried built-in audio and Creative Rx soundcard
Tried a different speaker cable.

The noise corresponds to what is displayed on the screen. It
changes when a menu choice is selected. Sounds like an oscillator.

Neither of my monitors have an HDMI audio output jack.

QUESTIONS:

Should I try an HDMI pass-through with audio extractor?

The soundcard has SPDIF output. But I am having trouble finding an
inexpensive SPDIF input preamp for the powered speakers.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

"John Doe" :

FWIW... Before upgrading my main monitor last week, I tried the
built-in speakers and did not notice the noise. But difficult to
hear anything on those built-in monitor speakers.

The HDMI audio extractor (Tripp Lite P130-000-AUD4K6) should tell
that one. If there is still noise, through the 3.5 mm stereo output
jack, I will assume the SPDIF on the extractor link would not work
either, that the noise is introduced before that point.

Good luck, that it helps.

I will lose the SoundBlaster equalizer software, using HDMI audio,
but I suppose there is a replacement.

IF you´re using Windows, you might want to check out:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/
in conjunction with
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pea...apo-extension/

as a "system-wide" EQ - can be activated and DEactivated easily.

Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 21-03-2018 00:59, John Doe wrote:

fixed microserf email topposting, this is usenet...

I wrote:

INFORMATION:

The JBL LSR305s make great PC speakers, zero noise, except when
playing a flight simulator (X-Plane).

Tried two different video cards, PNY GTX980 and MSI GTX960.
Tried built-in audio and Creative Rx soundcard
Tried a different speaker cable.

The noise corresponds to what is displayed on the screen. It
changes when a menu choice is selected. Sounds like an oscillator.

You may need one or both of: a bigger psu in the pc and a set of inline
insulation transformers that keep pc's ground and audio playback systems
grounds separate.

Neither of my monitors have an HDMI audio output jack.

QUESTIONS:

Should I try an HDMI pass-through with audio extractor?

No, I don't think it is gonna save your day, I think, but I do not know
this, that the supply voltage(s) in the pc are modulated because of the
videocards current requirements.

Kind regards

Peter larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro,free.spam
John Doe[_2_] John Doe[_2_] is offline

Don't take this personally, but...

Have you ever measured how much power your system uses?

Many years ago I bought a $20 wattage meter to find out. Surprise!
Nowadays I always have one connected to my PC. A good use for it
after measuring appliances around the house.

My systems have been in the 100-300 W range, including everything in
the box (minus the monitor). That includes inefficiency/overhead of
the power supply itself.

My current system...
ATX motherboard
Intel i7-6700k
GeForce GTX980

Idle power is usually about 65 W. While in my flight simulator
(X-Plane 11), power is always less than 300 W.

The big power supply thing sounds like a penis size contest. It is
the kind of thing you would sell to non-scientists who need "RGB"
display in and on all their computer stuff. Heaven forbid we have
a trade war with China and can't get RGB headphones.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 21-03-2018 11:31, John Doe wrote:

Don't take this personally, but...

Have you ever measured how much power your system uses?

Yes. When I edit video on a double xeon box I double the household power
use.

Many years ago I bought a $20 wattage meter to find out. Surprise!
Nowadays I always have one connected to my PC. A good use for it
after measuring appliances around the house.

My systems have been in the 100-300 W range, including everything in
the box (minus the monitor). That includes inefficiency/overhead of
the power supply itself.

My current system...
ATX motherboard
Intel i7-6700k
GeForce GTX980

Idle power is usually about 65 W. While in my flight simulator
(X-Plane 11), power is always less than 300 W.

The big power supply thing sounds like a penis size contest. It is
the kind of thing you would sell to non-scientists who need "RGB"
display in and on all their computer stuff. Heaven forbid we have
a trade war with China and can't get RGB headphones.

Remember the context, the OP is experiencing interference.

If you still have the box to that video card then check the suggested pc
power supply dimensioning. My videocards generally request 600 watts psu
in the pc or greater. And it is about voltage sag and -when it comes to
interference negation - psu output impedance on a single rail worst
case, not about what it can deliver on all rails combined.

My first thought was that his psu is marginal for the tasks since it is
when the graphics card is busy he has the issue. This here box has video
interference when there is too much disk activity, much the same issue.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Peter Larsen wrote:

You may need one or both of: a bigger psu in the pc and a
set of inline insulation transformers that keep pc's ground
and audio playback systems grounds separate.

Of course trying a bigger power supply is easy. Or maybe an
external soundcard, assuming the noise does not come through
the USB.

No, I don't think [an HDMI pass-through with audio
extractor] is gonna save your day,

It did not. The same noise is present with the HDMI audio
extractor.

I think, but I do not know this, that the supply voltage(s)
in the pc are modulated because of the videocards current
requirements.

I need to look around and see whether this is a common
problem. It should be, considering my circumstance.

Maybe most people don't notice because they use cheap
speakers. Seems strange. Otherwise, a bigger power supply
should fix it. Gamers love big power supplies. I can use a
spare power supply anyway.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/24/2018 12:09 PM, John Doe wrote:
No, I don't think [an HDMI pass-through with audio
extractor] is gonna save your day,

It did not. The same noise is present with the HDMI audio
extractor.

I didn't think so, because you still have a direct ground connection
between your computer and your speakers. Try the ground isolator that
recommended.

But . . . are you sure that the noise you're not hearing isn't a
constant background sound that's created by the flight simulator
program? Does it go away when you close the program? I don't remember if
you've mentioned this.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

John Doe wrote:

No, I don't think [an HDMI pass-through with audio
extractor] is gonna save your day,

It did not. The same noise is present with the HDMI audio
extractor.

I didn't think so, because you still have a direct ground
connection between your computer and your speakers. Try the
ground isolator that recommended.

But . . . are you sure that the noise you're not hearing
isn't a constant background sound that's created by the
flight simulator program? Does it go away when you close
the program? I don't remember if you've mentioned this.

Difficult to remember something you haven't read. Seems you
ignored everything in my original post, in your first reply.

I could understand if you were replying to the subject line,
sometimes I do that. But even the subject line answers your
current question.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/24/2018 1:16 PM, John Doe wrote:

Difficult to remember something you haven't read. Seems you
ignored everything in my original post, in your first reply.

I could understand if you were replying to the subject line,
sometimes I do that. But even the subject line answers your
current question

OK, ignore my advice if you choose. I was only trying to help based on
"digital noise," which isn't very specific. Breaking a ground connection
cures a lot of ills.

The noise corresponds to what is displayed on the screen. It
changes when a menu choice is selected. Sounds like an oscillator.

Is it a whistle? Does it have a pitch? What kind of oscillator? Sine
wave? Sawtooth? When you wrote "noise" I assumed noise. Sorry for trying
to first-guess you.

Could you make a video with audio and post it somewhere so I/we can hear
what you're hearing?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

John Doe wrote:

The HDMI audio extractor (Tripp Lite P130-000-AUD4K6) should tell
that one. If there is still noise, through the 3.5 mm stereo output
jack, I will assume the SPDIF on the extractor link would not work
either, that the noise is introduced before that point.

This is likely a D/A converter in a box and as such may affect your
sound. However, it might be better than whatever D/A you're using
currently.

I will lose the SoundBlaster equalizer software, using HDMI audio,
but I suppose there is a replacement.

God, I hope so. Get all that awful crap out of your signal path, and
keep it as far away as possible.

If I were you, I'd just look into fixing the ground loop. Are you running
an XLR cable out of your soundcard into the powered speaker, or are you
trying to pull out of an unbalanced output? If it is the unbalanced output,
try lifting pin 1 on the XLR side and adding 0.1uF ceramic caps between
pin 1 and 3 and pin 2 and 3 on the XLR connector. This lifts the ground at
the speaker side and filters some RF off... it's not as nice as a real
transformer but it's often a workable solution if you can't get a proper
balanced output.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Doe[_2_] John Doe[_2_] is offline

I meant "TS cables", just distinguishing between the connector types.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/25/2018 3:47 PM, John Doe wrote:
There is an electrical difference between TRS [you mean TS] cables and XLR cables,
going to the speakers from the same soundcard stereo output jack?

Yes. TS cables have one conductor and a shield, TRS and XLR (and
TRS-to-XLR) cables have two conductors and a shield. There's a detailed
article on my web page about the differences and why they matter:

https://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpr..._revised. pdf

The short version is that TRS and XLR cables are used when making
"balanced" connections. TS (or RCA, for that matter) cables are used
when making "unbalanced" connections. The difference is that for a
balanced connection, the cable shield, which is conventionally connected
to the chassis ground, doesn't carry the signal voltage, and in an
unbalanced connection, it does. If there's noise present on the ground
of one or both of the devices that you're connecting, the noise gets
added to the signal when you have an unbalanced connection. With a
balanced connection, _unless there's a wiring problem in the equipment_,
noise that's on the cable shield doesn't go anywhere important.

And before you ask, in order to make a balanced connection, the devices
on both ends of the cable must have connectors that carry two signal
wires and the shield. You can't make an unbalanced output balanced just
by sticking a TRS plug in a TS jack.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

John Doe wrote:

There is an electrical difference between TRS [you mean TS]
cables and XLR cables, going to the speakers from the same
soundcard stereo output jack?

Yes. TS cables have one conductor and a shield, TRS and XLR (and
TRS-to-XLR) cables have two conductors and a shield. There's a
detailed article on my web page about the differences and why they
matter:

https://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpr...he_ins_and_out
s_of_gozintas_and_gozoutas_revised.pdf

[...]

Are you saying that the difference between a "balanced" and an
"unbalanced" connection can be made simply by the cable used?

In other words... An ordinary stereo output from a PC soundcard can
be balanced by simply using XLR cables?

I like balanced.

A new power supply arrives today or tomorrow. Will see whether it
helps. The idea that increased power draw might cause the problem is
logical.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Doe wrote:

Are you saying that the difference between a "balanced" and an
"unbalanced" connection can be made simply by the cable used?

No. However, if you have a _differential input_ that is intended for a
balanced source, you can use the differential input to break the signal
ground connection effectively and eliminate the ground loop.

In other words... An ordinary stereo output from a PC soundcard can
be balanced by simply using XLR cables?

No, because the output is still not balanced. However, you CAN still
use the differential input to break the ground connection.

There is a discussion of this stuff on the Rane website, also a very
good one in the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook.

I like balanced.

It's nice, in part because you can break grounds with impunity then.

A new power supply arrives today or tomorrow. Will see whether it
helps. The idea that increased power draw might cause the problem is
logical.

It's likely to reduce some of the noise, but just fix the damn ground loop.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/25/2018 6:04 PM, John Doe wrote:
Are you saying that the difference between a "balanced" and an
"unbalanced" connection can be made simply by the cable used?

No. I tried to tell you that in a shortened form. Read the article.

In other words... An ordinary stereo output from a PC soundcard can
be balanced by simply using XLR cables?

No.

I like balanced.

So do I. But you can't make an unbalanced output balanced just by using
a different cable. You can make a balanced output unbalanced by using a
different cable, but not the other way around.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Are you saying that the difference between a "balanced" and an
"unbalanced" connection can be made simply by the cable used?

No. I tried to tell you that in a shortened form.

Why? You know I have a soundcard. There is no point in talking
"balanced this unbalanced that" when you know perfectly well
balanced is not available. Or at least you would if you bothered to
read the posts you reply to.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Doe wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Are you saying that the difference between a "balanced" and an
"unbalanced" connection can be made simply by the cable used?

No. I tried to tell you that in a shortened form.

Why? You know I have a soundcard. There is no point in talking
"balanced this unbalanced that" when you know perfectly well
balanced is not available. Or at least you would if you bothered to
read the posts you reply to.

Because he explained, as did I, why you want to be using the balanced input
even though your output is unbalanced. If you don't want to read the
two references I gave you or the reference he gave you, you could instead
read the FAQ.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Are you saying that the difference between a "balanced" and an
"unbalanced" connection can be made simply by the cable used?

No. However, if you have a _differential input_ that is intended
for a balanced source, you can use the differential input to break
the signal ground connection effectively and eliminate the ground
loop.

That's next.

In other words... An ordinary stereo output from a PC soundcard
can be balanced by simply using XLR cables?

No, because the output is still not balanced. However, you CAN
still use the differential input to break the ground connection.

There is a discussion of this stuff on the Rane website, also a
very good one in the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook.

I like balanced.

It's nice, in part because you can break grounds with impunity
then.

A new power supply arrives today or tomorrow. Will see whether it
helps. The idea that increased power draw might cause the problem
is logical.

It's likely to reduce some of the noise, but just fix the damn
ground loop.

I would have immediately fixed the thing (using capacitors on the
input as described by Mike) if it made sense to do that. It makes no
sense to me until I figure out what the problem is and why it is not
commonly discussed on the Internet. There are hundreds of millions
of gamers. They do not fix ground loops with transformers or
capacitors.

Is it something wrong with the JBL LSR305 speakers? Like the inputs
not being compatible enough with the unbalanced output from the
soundcard? Not that I have to know.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/25/2018 9:51 PM, John Doe wrote:
You know I have a soundcard. There is no point in talking
"balanced this unbalanced that" when you know perfectly well
balanced is not available. Or at least you would if you bothered to
read the posts you reply to.

But you were talking about an "HDMI extractor." Does that have a
balanced output? I don't think so. So making a balanced connection is
off the table for you.

I have been reading all of your posts, but some of them don't make a lot
of sense, and you aren't really providing a lot of information. How
about a video or at least a sound recording of the noise that's
bothering you? We're offering common solutions to common problems, and
you might have a common problem. None of your solutions have worked. Try
something that at least has potential to work. Oh, and I think it was
Scott that mentioned capacitors.

You don't have a loudspeaker problem, you have a system problem. I could
suggest a few more tests but you seem to reject everything I've
suggested so far. I have heard of cases where certain powered speakers
that have a differential ("balanced") have a buzz problem when fed from
certain unbalanced sources. This can be fixed but there isn't a single,
guaranteed solution.

But, you know, we don't really know for sure just what noise we're
chasing. You described it as sounding like an oscillator, and when I
asked you for further details, you didn't provide any, or a recording we
could hear. That could be a clue that it is or isn't a grounding
problem. But I don't have a lot of faith in your weak computer power
supply theory unless you have one of those really high powered gamer (or
Bitcoin miner) graphics cards.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

John Doe wrote:

You know I have a soundcard. There is no point in talking
"balanced this unbalanced that" when you know perfectly well
balanced is not available. Or at least you would if you bothered
to read the posts you reply to.

But you were talking about an "HDMI extractor." Does that have a
balanced output? I don't think so. So making a balanced connection
is off the table for you.

I have been reading all of your posts, but some of them don't make
a lot of sense,

Your first reply to my original post clearly ignored practically
everything I said. I could go through each instance, but of course
that's not protocol.

I think it was Scott that mentioned capacitors.

I was trying too hard to give you credit for something.

Capacitors on the input is probably my last attempt at finding help
here. If it works, I might post about it.

Yes, I could post a sound sample. But my description as "an
oscillator" should be accurate enough. I made a tonal voltmeter, I
know what oscillators sound like. And I am sure audiophiles do too.
It is a gritty sound, mostly unpleasant like a kazoo.

It is a high pitch oscillation that varies depending on the display.
I also made another very simple device, a tonal voltmeter with
phototransistor input that varied depending on the object it was
pointed at (for example a TV screen). This sound is sort of like
that, the input is not a phototransistor pointing at the screen but
the pitch does vary depending on the screen.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/25/2018 11:32 PM, John Doe wrote:
It is a gritty sound, mostly unpleasant like a kazoo.
It is a high pitch oscillation that varies depending on the display.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
John Doe wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

I would have immediately fixed the thing (using capacitors on the
input as described by Mike) if it made sense to do that. It makes no
sense to me until I figure out what the problem is and why it is not
commonly discussed on the Internet. There are hundreds of millions
of gamers. They do not fix ground loops with transformers or
capacitors.

You are confusing us again. I am the one who suggested the shunt caps.
The shunt caps will reduce RF, they don't do anything about the ground
loop. Disconnecting pin 1 at the XLR connector will break the ground loop.

This IS very commonly discussed on the internet, people are CONSTANTLY
complaining about noise in situations like this. Companies like Edcor
and Lundahl specifically make transformer isolation boxes because so many
people have this problem.

Is it something wrong with the JBL LSR305 speakers? Like the inputs
not being compatible enough with the unbalanced output from the
soundcard? Not that I have to know.

No, there's something wrong with cheap soundcards, but that's how it goes.
You set the grounding up properly and deal with it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley[_2_] david gourley[_2_] is offline

John Doe said...news
Balanced and unbalanced aside......

Just curious, do you have another computer where you could briefly swap this
sound system and see if you have the same problem? Or better yet, with
another gamer friend that doesn't have the problem.

Seems like at some point, you should be able to find and elminate half the
system that isn't causing the problem.

If you can't find out what it is, at least find out what it ain't. g

david

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/25/2018 11:32 PM, John Doe wrote:
Your first reply to my original post clearly ignored practically
everything I said. I could go through each instance, but of course
that's not protocol.

Please do. Or perhaps I never saw your original post. I try to be
careful when I answer someone who appears to be very confused about what
might be a common problem.

I think it was Scott that mentioned capacitors.

I was trying too hard to give you credit for something.

Don't give me credit for advice that I didn't give, and that I don't
think will solve the problem, however given your recent confusing
description of the sound, it really sounds like electromagnetic
interference, but to solve that problem, you need to gather more
information.

A cell phone is a good source for EMI. If you have one in your pocket
when you're playing the game, turn it off. And if you have a phone, wave
it around, and lay it along side your speaker cables and whatever other
cables in your setup that you have that you haven't mentioned. See if
the noise your phone generates sounds like the noise that's bothering
your. Perhaps you have one cable that isn't properly shielded.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"david gourley" wrote in message
. ..

John Doe
said...news
Balanced and unbalanced aside......

Just curious, do you have another computer where you could briefly swap this
sound system and see if you have the same problem? Or better yet, with
another gamer friend that doesn't have the problem.

Seems like at some point, you should be able to find and elminate half the
system that isn't causing the problem.

If you can't find out what it is, at least find out what it ain't. g

Great line.....and good advice.

Poly

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

david gourley wrote:

Balanced and unbalanced aside......

Balanced is cool.

Just curious, do you have another computer where you could briefly
swap this sound system and see if you have the same problem? Or
better yet, with another gamer friend that doesn't have the
problem.

Seems like at some point, you should be able to find and elminate
half the system that isn't causing the problem.

If you can't find out what it is, at least find out what it ain't.

I know, I know. I have been doing PCs since before Windows. I should
be able to figure it out.

I stuck some Apple earbuds in the line output, could faintly hear the
noise, at a lower volume maybe because of the high impedance of the
earbuds.

I can set up another PC. The problem might be the motherboard. I
will try the capacitor on the input trick, first.

--

Thanks to the replies.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Doe wrote:

This IS very commonly discussed on the internet, people are
CONSTANTLY complaining about noise in situations like this.

Then you should have no trouble providing citations in which the
recommended solution to a PC sound problem is a "transformer
isolation box".

Well, here's one of the ones I mentioned:
http://www.lundahl.se/wp-content/upl...eets/SIB15.pdf

Although another (much fancier) one is:
http://www.radialeng.com/stagebugsb5.php

You will notice the descriptions on these all mention the ground loop issues
with computers. They are sold for solving these problems because they are
so common.

But you likely don't need this much isolation. Just lifting pin 1 will
likely fix your issue.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/28/2018 10:10 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
But you likely don't need this much isolation. Just lifting pin 1 will
likely fix your issue.

Not if he doesn't understand how balanced connections work, and doesn't
know how to "lift pin 1." Remember, we're dealing with someone who
knows-it-all about computers and gaming.

Quoting John Watkinson: "Today's production equipment is IT based and
cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computer, although it
seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio."

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 28 Mar 2018, Mike Rivers wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

Not if he doesn't understand how balanced connections work, and
doesn't know how to "lift pin 1." Remember, we're dealing with
someone who knows-it-all about computers and gaming.

Quoting John Watkinson: "Today's production equipment is IT based
and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computer,
although it seems that it can be operated without a passing
knowledge of audio."

This appears to be your first contact with this clown. He is all over
Usenet and always uses the same MO. He will not listen to you, will
argue with everything you say, and will then call you a troll and
publish your words on a public newsgroup without your permission.

Best to keep your distance and ignore it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 26 Mar 2018, "polymod" wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

"david gourley" wrote in message
. ..
If you can't find out what it is, at least find out what it ain't.

Great line.....and good advice.

Indeed. We should all be so wise.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nicola B. Bernardelli Nicola B. Bernardelli is offline

On 03/19/2018 05:52 PM, John Doe wrote:
INFORMATION:

The JBL LSR305s make great PC speakers, zero noise, except when
playing a flight simulator (X-Plane).

Tried two different video cards, PNY GTX980 and MSI GTX960.
Tried built-in audio and Creative Rx soundcard
Tried a different speaker cable.

The noise corresponds to what is displayed on the screen. It
changes when a menu choice is selected. Sounds like an oscillator.

Neither of my monitors have an HDMI audio output jack.

QUESTIONS:

Should I try an HDMI pass-through with audio extractor?

The soundcard has SPDIF output. But I am having trouble finding an
inexpensive SPDIF input preamp for the powered speakers.

Thanks.

Could you solve the problem by now?

Just out of curiosity, I searched in Duckduckgo.com

video card dac audio interference

you might want to do the same and check out some of the resulting pages,
e.g.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/33...mputer-working

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...-speakers.html

https://hardforum.com/threads/help-w...-card.1929139/

https://hardforum.com/threads/video-...rence.1789077/

Somebody mentions having solved it by removing software (Dolby stuff),
or updating drivers, somebody mentions unplugging a cable from the aux
input they were not using...

BTW you didn't mention what motherboard it is.

And... I think I've gone through each post in this thread but now,
sorry, I don't remember: could you check out the SPDIF output eventually?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Nicola B. Bernardelli" wrote:

John Doe wrote:

[...]

That would require a third purchase, less useful than the first two.
I will post when it is solved. If it affected something other than
the flight simulator, I might be more gung ho for solving it. Every
other sound from my PC is noise free. Most impressive is the USB
microphone connected to a 36 foot Tripp-Lite active USB extender.
Used partly for security, partly for entertaining my indoor-only
cats. The Marantz USB microphone is output through my SoundBlaster
Audigy Rx to the JBL LSR305s. Sounds like being outside. Love it.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 8/04/2018 9:01 PM, John Doe wrote:
"Nicola B. Bernardelli" wrote:

John Doe wrote:

[...]

Sorry if already clarified, but the noise isn't actually coming from the
flight simulator program by any chance, ie meant to be there even if
unpleasant to you ?

Cos if it isn't there from other source media on the computer that would
kind of eliminate everything else....

geoff