Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Shhhh!!!! I'm Listening to Reason! Shhhh!!!! I'm Listening to Reason! is offline

Default Favorite record cleaning technique

I just whipped up a batch of fluid for my VPI 16.5.

75% distilled water, 25% isopropyl alcohol (91%), seven drops of Dawn.

What other home-brews are out there, or favored commercial products?

There's an old wives tale our there about not using Windex, but I find
it removes fingerprints and if washed immediately with the above does
not seems to damage anything.

If a record is really dirty I use windex and a soft, lint-free cloth,
then immediately spray a bit of the above solution on the LP and
gently work it in with a brush, then use the VPI.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

On Jul 15, 12:54*am, "Shhhh!!!! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:
I just whipped up a batch of fluid for my VPI 16.5.

75% distilled water, 25% isopropyl alcohol (91%), seven drops of Dawn.

What other home-brews are out there, or favored commercial products?

There's an old wives tale our there about not using Windex, but I find
it removes fingerprints and if washed immediately with the above does
not seems to damage anything.

If a record is really dirty I use windex and a soft, lint-free cloth,
then immediately spray a bit of the above solution on the LP and
gently work it in with a brush, then use the VPI.

Most such concoctions used a little Kodak Photo Flo.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
I just whipped up a batch of fluid for my VPI 16.5.

75% distilled water, 25% isopropyl alcohol (91%), seven drops of Dawn.

What other home-brews are out there, or favored commercial products?

There's an old wives tale our there about not using Windex, but I find
it removes fingerprints and if washed immediately with the above does
not seems to damage anything.

If a record is really dirty I use windex and a soft, lint-free cloth,
then immediately spray a bit of the above solution on the LP and
gently work it in with a brush, then use the VPI.

Most such concoctions used a little Kodak Photo Flo.

That's just a surfectant. The Dawn covers that.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

wrote:
I just whipped up a batch of fluid for my VPI 16.5.

75% distilled water, 25% isopropyl alcohol (91%), seven drops of Dawn.

What other home-brews are out there, or favored commercial products?

There's an old wives tale our there about not using Windex, but I find
it removes fingerprints and if washed immediately with the above does
not seems to damage anything.

If a record is really dirty I use windex and a soft, lint-free cloth,
then immediately spray a bit of the above solution on the LP and
gently work it in with a brush, then use the VPI.

In regards to Windex...be careful. Many cleaners do a great job on
vinyl initially but cause long term damage over time (i.e. Armor All).
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
I just whipped up a batch of fluid for my VPI 16.5.

75% distilled water, 25% isopropyl alcohol (91%), seven drops of Dawn.

What other home-brews are out there, or favored commercial products?

There's an old wives tale our there about not using Windex, but I find
it removes fingerprints and if washed immediately with the above does
not seems to damage anything.

If a record is really dirty I use windex and a soft, lint-free cloth,
then immediately spray a bit of the above solution on the LP and
gently work it in with a brush, then use the VPI.

In regards to Windex...be careful. Many cleaners do a great job on
vinyl initially but cause long term damage over time (i.e. Armor All).

Armor All would actually leave a coating? I'd never heard of that as
an LP cleaner before.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

wrote:
I just whipped up a batch of fluid for my VPI 16.5.

75% distilled water, 25% isopropyl alcohol (91%), seven drops of Dawn..

What other home-brews are out there, or favored commercial products?

There's an old wives tale our there about not using Windex, but I find
it removes fingerprints and if washed immediately with the above does
not seems to damage anything.

If a record is really dirty I use windex and a soft, lint-free cloth,
then immediately spray a bit of the above solution on the LP and
gently work it in with a brush, then use the VPI.

In regards to Windex...be careful. Many cleaners do a great job on
vinyl initially but cause long term damage over time (i.e. Armor All).

Armor All would actually leave a coating? I'd never heard of that as
an LP cleaner before.

No, I meant it as an example of a cleanser that could actually do
damage to plastics over a long period of time. But after the CD
cleaning debacle, I did hear of a few people using it on LPs.

I think I've heard something bad about Windex as well. I've been
looking online but can't find anything, though.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
[...]

It may be that ammonia uses heat to clean and that could lead to
record damage, as probably also would bleach.

The thing is to get it off the LP ASAP with the solution and VPI 16.5.
If it's not on the LP it cannot create any damage. It's also a one-
time use to remove fingerprints.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

wrote:
[...]

After researching a bit on the Internet, I've found that quite a few
people use Windex with no ill effects. So carry on, sir.

I'll keep using the pro stuff only because I have gallons of it lying
around.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
[...]

You'll use the "we think" stuff because you're a sheeple.

What a moron. LoL.

record cleaning machines mark brooks Pro Audio 7 October 12th 07 12:25 AM
Record Cleaning ScottW Audio Opinions 45 June 12th 06 02:32 AM
Record-cleaning solution? mc Pro Audio 29 February 7th 06 10:19 AM
Piccolo - Your favorite mic to record with <-- Mirek Pro Audio 6 December 14th 03 04:07 PM