Matthew Pierce

Default Mackie 1202 (non vlz) or Tapco 6306?

Mackie 1202 (non vlz) or Tapco 6306?

I need a small format mixer for live gigs and I can't decide between the
two. I know its kind of splitting hairs, but I'm worried about these chinese
made mixers and haven't had the chance to actually touch one.

I can get an older Mackie off ebay for the same price as a new Tapco. They
both would serve my needs. Anyone used both? Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks.

hank alrich

Matthew Pierce wrote:

Mackie 1202 (non vlz) or Tapco 6306?

I need a small format mixer for live gigs and I can't decide between the
two. I know its kind of splitting hairs, but I'm worried about these chinese
made mixers and haven't had the chance to actually touch one.

I can get an older Mackie off ebay for the same price as a new Tapco. They
both would serve my needs. Anyone used both? Anyone have an opinion?

While I've been using a "vintage" 1202 for a long time I'd not suggest
you buy mine nor any other old one. They wear out, like you'd expect for
a cheap mixer. I'm on the verge of needing to pop mine open and see if
some j WD40 /j will help the pots. If not it's probably going to be
history a year from now.

That said, you might want better EQ for live, depending on your style of
music, and though they cost more, the Mackie Onyx series is a whole new
ballpark for that.

--
ha
John F

That said, you might want better EQ for live, depending on your style of
music, and though they cost more, the Mackie Onyx series is a whole new
ballpark for that.

Tell more about the Mackie Onyx and EQ please, as compared to the VLZ pro
series... Thanks

Kurt Albershardt

John F wrote:
That said, you might want better EQ for live, depending on your style of
music, and though they cost more, the Mackie Onyx series is a whole new
ballpark for that.

Tell more about the Mackie Onyx and EQ please, as compared to the VLZ pro
series...

On all but the smallest Onyx, there are two sweepable mids and an EQ bypass switch. The EQ sounds pretty decent. Both of these are major improvements over previous Mackie boards.

Scott Dorsey

Kurt Albershardt wrote:
John F wrote:
That said, you might want better EQ for live, depending on your style of
music, and though they cost more, the Mackie Onyx series is a whole new
ballpark for that.

Tell more about the Mackie Onyx and EQ please, as compared to the VLZ pro
series...

On all but the smallest Onyx, there are two sweepable mids and an EQ bypass switch. The EQ sounds pretty decent. Both of these are major improvements over previous Mackie boards.

No Q control, though?
The EQ bypass is a really wonderful idea, though, and it's one of the things
that have driven me up the wall about earlier Mackie boards.

Kurt Albershardt

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Kurt Albershardt wrote:

John F wrote:

That said, you might want better EQ for live, depending on your style of
music, and though they cost more, the Mackie Onyx series is a whole new
ballpark for that.

Tell more about the Mackie Onyx and EQ please, as compared to the VLZ pro
series...

On all but the smallest Onyx, there are two sweepable mids and an EQ bypass switch. The EQ sounds pretty decent. Both of these are major improvements over previous Mackie boards.

No Q control, though?

Whaddaya want for $660?

The EQ bypass is a really wonderful idea, though, and it's one of the things
that have driven me up the wall about earlier Mackie boards.

Yes, flat is now flat.

They seem to have incorporated most of the LSC Canada mods (sans the tone oscillator and 12V power option) making it a passable low budget location board.

Balanced (well, impedance balanced anyway) direct outs on DB-25's for recording are rather handy as well. Haven't tried the 1394 card yet but finding out that Echo dedigned it makes me a little more confident.