chris

Default screening of speaker leads.

"Richard D Pierce" wrote in message
In article CEkYa.56109$cF.20345@rwcrnsc53,
chris wrote:
Richard

Would a zobel network have any value placed outside of a xover unit on a
modern speaker?

What do you presume is the purpose of such?

I was asking if using a zobel to correct any imperfections in the impeadance
curve could possibly be of any use. I have no knowledge of zobel devices
in real use, and I was .enquiring as to if you had any experiance of them.

and if so would it not be best placed near or at the amps o/p terminals ?

ie
to correct the total impeadance of lead and speaker ?

The impedance imposed by all but the most pathologically bad of
speaker leads is such a TINY part of the total impedance seen by
the amplifier as to be insignificant.

Further, I would submit that if such a network IS needed, it is
correcting for a defficiency in the amplifier, and one might
argue that applying external means of solving the internal
defficiency of an amplifier is the wrong approach to addressing
the problem.

I wasnt really thinking of amplifer defficencies but in that respect I agree
(poss best to ditch the amp), but more of where would be the best place to
put the correctig device should one be required.

so what are the (overpriced?) "network thinggys" that I hear people put

at
the speaker terminals?

Often, they are nothing more than passive tone controls.

So what are they less often ?