Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default AR3a/AS103a speakers and the Heathkit AR1500 receiver

Jerry wrote:

Peter, if I were going to do this, I'd just solder the lead going to the
driver to the top of the pot. This by passes the wiper (which by now is
heavily corroded), but it leaves that 16 ohm wire resistor encased in
ceramic in the circuit. Current is still flowing through that resistor and
I like the fact that while it's inside the box surrounded by all that
insulation, that it's encased in ceramic.

That's NOT what I did, however. Pots are completely out of my xovers. All
I really did was move the function of the pots back to the volume controls
on the individual amps.

Under a single amp, I don't think "soldering to the top of the pot" would
actually work, Peter. I mean that balance would be way off ... far too
bright!

YIKES!.... Yikes....

Before I completely misunderstand what you did, how did you remove the
3-wire pot from the circuit? OK. Pot is gone, what got connected where?
Did you just lump the three wires together?

I am (admittedly) boggling at the "far too bright" comment as well,
especially as connected to the comment "move the function back to the
volume controls". What does the crossover look like when you are done
with your mods? Did you replace the various caps?

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA