Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default AR3a/AS103a speakers and the Heathkit AR1500 receiver

Jerry wrote:
I have the equivalent of a 750 watt amp (@ 4 ohms - 375 watts @ 8 ohms).
Why in heavens name would I want a mere 200 watt amp. That would be going
backwards.

Jerry:

Pulling the pots from the AR3(a) is about the first thing that should
be done, they were barely functional when-new. So we are 100% agreed
there. But per any of the several web-sites dedicated to these speakers
(Layne, Vintage, et.al.) this gives only about a 3dB gain (assuming
otherwise good pots) over the pots in the max (theoretically
straight-wire) position.

And, as to the "equivalent" of a 750 watt amp, _ALL_ I am suggesting is
that unless you have tried the brute-force amp and rejected it as being
unsatisfactory as compared to your present set-up, you REALLY SHOULD
try it. The results may well be revealing. At the very least they will
endorse your present position.

Yeah, a good part of the stuff I listen to regularly does have a 20dB
P/A, the room is fairly large, and I do like to run at a moderately
high volume... trumpets like that. And even the solo human voice with
an orchestral background likes that.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA