Brian Tankersley

Default Problem with 24 bit aiff when copied from PC to Mac

The lack of Window's support for the resource fork on Mac native file
formats renders the PC originated versions of those files to be useless
on a Mac. Does that make sense?

In a nutshell, it's an OS issue. I've yet to see an SD2 or AIF created
on a PC open correctly on a Mac. If somebody knows something I don't
about this, please jump in here. AFAIK, it's a no go.

The easy fix is to give him WAV files which will work perfectly.

Regards,
Brian T

Bob Drake wrote:

I gave someone (he is not very experienced working with audio) 24 bit aif
files on a CDR. I'm using a PC, Samplitude 7.11. He copied the files to his
Mac and says they a
A) "Not even recognised" by ProTools or Logic (he didn't say what versions),
and
B) Show up as 16 bit Quicktime movie files.

I told him to try renaming them "aiff", because I have seen this same
problem fixed that way before, but he insists it doesn't work in this case.
He is in London and I'm in S. France so I can't just pop over there and try
a few things myself. Any tips?

Thanks,
BD