dave weil

Default sound card recommendation

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:11:35 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

You claim that you are not angry, yet calling me "Atkinson" rather than

"Mr.
Atkinson" or even "John" gives the lie to that claim.

Atkinson, anybody with a brain knows that I refer to people by their last
name, friend, foe and neutral party alike.

Not true:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Tom+group:rec.audio.opinion+author:arnyk% 40hotpop.com&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=zM0n7.2937%24qZ6.831997067%40newss vr16.news.prodigy.com&rnum=6

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Tom+group:rec.audio.opinion+author:arnyk% 40hotpop.com&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=L0bX9.472%24oB2.56%40newssvr16.new s.prodigy.com&rnum=9

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Tom+group:rec.audio.opinion+author:arnyk% 40hotpop.com&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=OqS39.334%24hA7.23812413%40newssvr 15.news.prodigy.com&rnum=11

Nousaine wrote:
(John Atkinson) wrote:
(Nousaine) wrote in message
OK, do you believe that nominally competent amplifiers and
wires have an acoustical sound of their own.

As literally expressed, Tom, no I do not believe wires "have an
acoustical sound of their own," nor amplifiers unless they have
an AC transformer that buzzes. If you are asking whether the
choice of an amplifier or wire can affect the sound of someone's
system, then the only correct answer is "yes," as has been shown
not just in Stereophile but even in the magazines for which you
write, Tom, and has even been expressed here on r.a.o. by your
friend Arny Krueger.

OK I would guess then that you really do endorse, even the
ridiculous, items that are published in your magazine. I just
wanted a clear statement of such. I just didn't think that this
could be possibly true.

If you look at what was written by the Stereophile Editor Tom, it's
really hard to figure what the Stereophile Editor really does
endorse. We're talking about someone who is in deep evasion mode.

For example Tom, your phrase "acoustical sound of their own" has been
turned into a discussion of incidental mechanical sounds that an
amplifier might make, such as transformer buzz.

Then Tom, your phrase "nominally competent amplifiers" has been
expanded to include amplifiers which you and I would say aren't
really competently designed, and my name has even been gratuitously
attached to the discussion.

Sorry, you lose.

Again.