Scott Gardner

Default Mechanic blames amplifier for alternator failing?? Help>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm not a big believer in "breaking in" speakers either, but
the post quoted below about track thirty on the Autosound test disc
might not have anything to do with break-in.
It specifically said that the tones were for "exercising
woofers before making Small/Theil parameter measurements". That's not
the same as "breaking in" woofers. T/S parameters change
significantly when the speaker is warmed up for a while, and the
parameters go right back to their original values once the speaker
cools back down.
My interpretation of the liner notes has always been that
track thirty is just for warming up speakers so you're not measuring
T/S parameters off of a cold sub.

Scott Gardner

BTW, I've heard a poster in another group that swore that whenever he
bought new home speakers, they always sounded different once he'd
played them for about a month. Then, he bought a pair of store demo
speakers that already had a few hundred hours on them. Guess what?
They sounded different after a month in his house, too. That's when
he figured that "speaker break-in" is more about our ears adapting to
the speakers than any actual change in the speakers themselves. My
experiences have been similar to his.

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 23:41:23 -0500, thelizman
thelizman1221.yahoo@com wrote:

John Durbin wrote:

Rich Clark wrote a very good piece on this subject a few yeas ago,
keeping in mind this is a guy that helped start the capacitor hype...

Richard Clark started a lot of hype. Clark and his coat-tail riding
wannabees (lovingly referred to as "clarkies") are hype-machine
extraordinaires.

I think my favorite bit of hype
was...http://www.teamrocs.com/crap/rcpunked.htm

--