username

Default Mechanic blames amplifier for alternator failing?? Help>>>>>>>>>>>

Couple things you might want to do.

1.) Get a higher output alternator (100-110 amps should be fine, but consider more if you have all power accessories)
2.) Not necessary but will help, get a yellow or red top battery, Acura's use small batteries
3.) Consider adding a Capcitor in the mix

"SHREDİ" wrote in message news:IVbzb.26297$Bk1.22835@fed1read05...
I am on my 4th alternator in my 1991 Integra.
Napa autocare service centers are replacing them, under warranty, until now.
They referred me to an auto-electric shop. This shop claims that my car's
wiring is fine but the amplifier in my car is responsible for destroying the
Napa alternators.

I have an Alpine MRD-F752 5ch (75wx4 and 250wx1) driving 4 PA DX6's and a JL
Audio 12".

The mechanic at the auto-elec shop claims that he tested the amp and it is
drawing between 50-80 amps!! This is a 60amp rated alternator so with the
lights and A/C, etc..he claims the stereo is pushing it over the edge.

Wait a minute...Watts divided by volts= amps.
325w / 12v = 27amps..right?

Why would that Alpine be reading so high?

Why do my headlight dim with the bass note thumps even when not blasting?

I think it is a Napa alternator issue...as in junk.

I have to call them in the morning and let them know if I am going to remove
the amplifier. Damn I'd hate to do that it sounds so sweet.

WTF can I do? I am scrambling for electrical answers I know little of.

Why do my friends, in little Honda Civics and other vehicles, have no
problems driving 500 watts with the stock alternators?

Thanks