Trevor Wilson

Default Sticking cassette deck, advice please.

"Barry Mann" wrote in message
om...
In , on 07/23/03
at 05:30 AM, "Trevor Wilson" said:

"John Fryatt" wrote in message
Hi,

I have got out my old Nakamichi 480Z cassette deck, and am testing it.

It
generally works fine, and is in great condition, but there is one

problem.
When I rewind a tape and then press play, it won't work. The machine

seems
to attempt to start the tape moving but then just stops. If I try

pressing
stop then start several times, occasionally it will go. Mostly though,

need to open the cassette door then close it again. This causes the

slack
be taken up and the tape to be wound on just a fraction, and then the

tape
will play with no problem.

**Most likely cause is the assist belt. When you lift the lid, you
will see a large gear. The belt which drives the gear is probably worn
and requires replacement. The mechanism should be correctly aligned,
after this service, but it will probably work without the alignment.
The T/U idler may also require replacement, but this problem usually
manifests itself during play.

Any ideas? Is this something I could attend to myself?

**I have no idea if you can attend to it yourself.

At this point, replace *ALL* of the belts and thoroughly clean the reel
drive idler wheel using a rubber "restorer". If you have a torque
gauge, I think you'll find that the reel take-up torque in one or both
directions is too low.

Unless you are a complete clutz, the above procedures will not
significantly shift the alignment.

**Of course they will not alter head alignment. They will almost certainly
shift the gear alignment. This will need to be adjusted using the two preset
pots on the assist board.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com