John Fryatt

Default Sticking cassette deck, advice please.

Hi,

Thanks people. Sounds like it might be a wear issue on a belt or something.
Any idea how easy this is to fix? Might I be able to do it myself? (I'm no
expert, but reasonably handy with tools).
If it needs a repair shop, is it likely to be a costly repair?
Nakamichis are nice, but I guess an old 480Z isn't worth all that much.

Thanks, John

"John Fryatt" wrote in message
Hi,

I have got out my old Nakamichi 480Z cassette deck, and am testing it. It
generally works fine, and is in great condition, but there is one problem.
When I rewind a tape and then press play, it won't work. The machine seems
to attempt to start the tape moving but then just stops. If I try pressing
stop then start several times, occasionally it will go. Mostly though, I
need to open the cassette door then close it again. This causes the slack

be taken up and the tape to be wound on just a fraction, and then the tape
will play with no problem.

Any ideas? Is this something I could attend to myself?

Thanks, John

P.S. The rewinding need not go right to the end of the tape to make this
problem happen.