Bruce Abrams

Default Comments about Blind Testing

"Mkuller" wrote in message
*snip* quoted text
What is your experience in using 'highly experienced listeners"

(reviewers,
disc masterers, etc.) versus 'average listeners' for blind tests to

determine
whether there is an audible difference between components?

Mike,

You have repeatedly brought up the notion that DBTs, particularly of the ABX
variety, only have validity in 'trained' listeners and are useless to the
untrained. So I ask, if we were to set up a double blind cable
discrimination test and prior to running the test, had each testor engage in
some ABX training and we subsequently charted their sensitivity to known
types of distortions, would you conclude that the ensuing cable test would
be valid even if all testors failed to discriminate between the cables?

One variable you did not mention is 'control of the switch'. John

Atkinson of
Stereophile has said he personally has a lot of problems with any blind

test
where he can't control the switch. What are your thoughts on that issue?
Regards,
Mike