Steve Grauman

Default ALL amps are equal??

DOH! I guess I was RIGHT all along.

I've run through these posts fairly throughly and not found any instance where
Mr. Zarella or anyone else actually said that amp "a" and amp "b" are identical
to one another. Beyond that, the quote you used from the $10,000 challenege
says "It is very easy
to measure large differences in the performance of amplifiers.". This is said
in regards to measurements made with specialized equipment far more sensitive
than the human ear. I've personally done listening tests of JL's 300/4 aganist
compareable models from Xtant and Eclipse and found that there's really no
difference between them other than the small differences changes in power
output can make. So I would venture to say that in many (if not *most* cases)
the brand name attached to a particular amp affects pricing to a much greater
degree than actual technology does. It's easy to assume that a Zapco amp sounds
better than a Sony Xplod amp, but in light of the $10,000 challenenge, I'm not
so sure it's true.