Robert Morein

Default FS: ONKYO T-9990 Hi-End BLUEBOOK valued as required by CCP!

"choro-nik" wrote in message
news
A European model will NOT work in America (or vice versa for that matter)
unless connected to the mains via a transformer. Additionally the mains
frequencies vary which is another trap for the unwary. Unless the mains
frequency input can be altered, the item would be useless in the USA.
--
choro-nik
*******

As I write this, I have before me the schematic for the unit.
There is absolutely nothing different in the power supply other than T901
itself, the power transformer.

The impression that some devices are sensitive to line frequency comes from
AC induction motors. It is indeed true that 50 and 60 Hz induction motor
units are not interchangeable. However, a transformer is not a tuned device.
The frequency over which I will work is broadly a function of the amount of
iron in the core and the thickness of the laminations. However, this is not
a sharp effect. In my laboratory I am developing a linear induction motor.
This motor is impedance matched by an ordinary toroidal power transformer --
even though the driving frequency varies between 175 Hz and 400 Hz. It works
fine.

The problem with a European tuner in the U.S. relates to the deemphasis. In
Europe, it is 50 microseconds. In the U.S., it is 75 microseconds. I do not
know what it is in Hong Kong, because the manual doesn't state it. However,
a U.S. buyer should be cautious.

In view of the fact that the seller states the line voltage, I do not think
that his intentions are dishonorable.