Ian Iveson

"Kirk Patton" wrote lots of good stuff!

Excellent Kirk, thanks for the most credible advice I've ever had
about anything. Could have done with a lawyer like you. You are
immortalised in my library. Thanks too for the links.

Setting off for Hull, UK, where I believe the boy might be
found...perhaps this time there will be traffic on the bridge, so I
won't be too scared to cross on my own.

While I'm thinking of rack-mount valve amps, it is important to use
good PS transformers that won't vibrate. A rack cabinet can make a
very effective sound-box for a humming transformer.

cheers, Ian

Hi Ian,

This sounds like what I usually call a "pin-1 problem" . . . named

after the
ground pin on an XLR connector . . . it is way too common in
commercially-produced gear. Basically, what happens is that

different
stages inside a given piece of equipment are grounded in different

places,
and when current flows from pin 1 of one XLR to pin 1 of another

XLR, the
accumulated resistance in connectors, wires, and P.C. board traces

is
sufficient to allow a small AC voltage to develop, and if an

amplifying
stage's input is referenced to the wrong part of the ground trace,

then the
AC voltage is amplified as humm.

The reason for the ground current flowing in the first place is

leakage
current onto the chassis from the power transformer's

primary-to-secondary
reactances. I'm assuming two pieces of audio equipment here -- a

synth
sound module and a tube amp, the tube amp has a grounded cord and

the synth
doesn't, and there is an unbalanced audio connection between the

two pieces.
The symptom as described is that there is no hum present in the

system,
until there is a very low-resistance (rack flange) connection made

between
the chassis of the synth and the chassis of the tube amp.

So here are some of my guesses as to the problem:
1 - Internal grounding mistake in the design of the synth sound

module.
Wouldn't surprise me a whole lot . . . PC board designers have off

days too
. . .
2 - Less likely: Your input stage/phase splitter star ground point

has a
lower impedance to the chassis than the one that has the mains

cable. In
this case, the ground current from the synth chassis would flow

through the
rack, to the amp chassis, to the input star ground, through the

wire that
connects the two star points together, and to mains ground. The

resistance
of the wire between the two star points would cause a voltage to

appear on
the grids of the output tubes. Only problem is, that it would be

mainly
common mode (though not perfectly balanced) and would also be

bypassing the
higher (voltage) gain stages in the amp. Hmmmmm.
3 - More likely than #2: Your input jack isn't isolated from the

chassis,
and is actually making a better connection to the synth's chassis

than your
star points, from the point of view of the rack (grounded to front

panel
with rack ears, while other star point is at the back of the

chassis?) In
this case, the ground current from the synth chassis would flow to

the input
jack, to the first star ground, (and then maybe to the second star

ground
via either the wire or the chassis), and to the mains cable

ground. The
resistance of the input jack ground to the first star point in

this case
would be the primary mechanism, resulting in a hum voltage

directly on the
input.
4 - Humm is a side-effect of an oscillation. Maybe not terribly

likely;
adding a grid-stopper resistor on the input tube may be a good

idea if there
isn't already one there.

If the situation is as I described it, then I would lift the

chassis ground
on the second star-point, and ground the mains cable to its own

point, with
a low impedance to the rack mounting ears. I would also isolate

the input
jack, and make sure that there is a separate, low impedance ground

from your
first star point to the rack ears/front faceplate as well.

also, check out:

http://www.jensentransformers.com/an/an004.pdf

http://www.jensentransformers.com/as/as032.pdf

for insights into these types of hum mechanisms.

Hope this at least gets you pointed in the right direction,

Kirk Patton