Gib Bogle

Default FM tuner problem

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:

I'm not familiar with this model, whether it's solid-state, tube, analog,
digital.
However, the static you mention made me think of an arcing power switch.
Might be fine some of the time, then act up.
Outside aerials are best, but the signal fading as you walk around the room
has a simple cause. The radio signal bounces of your body and occasionally
cancels the antenna signal at certain points as you move around. Just
putting a dipole higher might help. The "short plastic tube" doesn't sound
like any FM antenna I'm familiar with. Could it be the AM ferrite bar?

It is solid state, and the frequency selection is push-button, in fixed
increments. The plastic tube contains something connected by 4 wires -
it may well be the AM antenna (you can see I am very ignorant of these
matters). Thanks for the dipole advice.

Gib