Richard D Pierce

Default Euphonic versus accurate

Mkuller wrote:
Live music always sounds euphonic.

Really? What an extraordinary claim!

I once attended a harpsichord recital given by Igor Kipnis. It
included works by Bach, Couperin, Scarlatti, Handel and
Krzysztof Penderecki. All was fine, very pleasant sounding, very
sweet, until the Penderecki. Then it was most sour, most
unpleasant. Not euphonic in the least. Indeed, a RECORDING of
the concert would have been preferably, since I could have
simply skipped the Penderecki. That one piece made what would
have been an otherwise enjoyable concert most sour.

I attended a live Chieftains concert where the sound was utterly
dreadful.

I attended an organ recital where the entire reed chorus was
systematically about a eighth of a tone sharp. Not fun at all.

If "euphonia" is in the ears of the beholder, making a grand
seeping statement like "live music always sounds euphonic" means
that there IS accounting for taste, that live music must, by
your definition, always be esthetically and technically
flawless.

--
| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |