Lord Hasenpfeffer

Default Louder IS Better (With Lossy)

Jonas Eckerman wrote:

No, you have not learned this. Nowhere in this thread has there been any
conclusive evidence that most lossy compression schemes has a fixed
threshold below wich they filter everything.

I believe my statement assumed this as true since it had not yet been
proven false and all ATH charts which I had seen at the time seemed to
indicate a fixed position. I may have only thought I learned this. At
any rate, David asked me a question. I answered it. Your reply to my
answer is valid and, therefore, proof that this entire thread has not
been a complete waste of time for all involved.

I just spent 10 minutes googling about this

What were your search criteria? If I were a little more keen in this
regard I could have probably done the same on my own. I Google for most
everything I ever need to learn via both web and groups provided that I
know what I'm searching for in the first place.

My initial decision to create a thread in this newsgroup on this topic,
however, was in direct response to a dare by someone in another
newsgroup who obviously assumes that the members of this group are much
more akin to ravenous wolves than I. Something about one's "tolerance
for gore not being up the spectacle" comes to mind at this point. So
for those who would choose to believe that I am unjustly convicting
innocents by merely expecting to encounter rudeness at every turn in
Usenet, my actual presence here and willingness to accept the
rec.audio.pro challenge stands as evidence of my actual real faith in
the process regardless of what my *defensively-positioned* expectations
of it may actually be.

and I found that some encoders does have a fixed threshold below
wich everything is filtered out, while other encoders does not.

My "notlame" encoder is approximately 2 years old at this time.

What I learned from that is simjply that in this regard some encoders are
better than others, and that if I want as good a quality as possible in the
compromise that lossy encoding allways is I should use the best encoder I
can find. Of course we all knew this allready.

Yeah, but I can also understand from a community such as this why so
many would be so more concerned initially about attempting to straighten
my crooked ways when dealing with the merits of WAV normalization as
opposed to the actual issue at hand. I asked very early of if this
perhaps may be an off-topic thread in a newsgroup such as this and was
not told "yes". And Bob Cain wouldn't suggest that I subscribe to the
mp3encoders mailing list either until late last night or early this morning.

2) With regard to MP3s, VBR encoding is most likely preferable over
CBR encoding

Depends on your priorities.

See, responses like this convince me that posting my answer to Dave's
question was indeed another "good thing" for me to do. It seems to have
caused a bit of focus to return to this unmoderated thread - which
pleases me to no end.

A constant bitrate at the highest value the encoder supports
(320 is a common max for encoders) will result in better
quality than VBR. VBR is simply a better way to keep the file size down
than a constant and not very high bitrate.

The rationale to support the absolute nature of your claim here is lost
on me at this time. I have always used CBR because when I last read up
on the merits of VBR in early 2002, it was still receiving quite a bit
of bad press. Apparently it's been improved since then, however, if I
can still safely use CBR in most instances, I think I'd like to - simply
because my old biases in its favour still remain... even though I
believe I understand the potential downside for it as well as a result
of participating in this most lengthy discussion.

6) The curve table which visually depicts the Absolute Threshold of
Hearing for frequencies ranging 20-20,000Hz is fixed (i.e. Absolute)
in relation to digital Full Scale

How you could have learned this from this thread is a mystery too me. I've
only managed to learn that it might be so.

Until I had reason to believe otherwise, this was my assumption.

Myke

--

Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!