Mikkel C. Simonsen

Default Attenuator experiments

There were some attenuator discussions here some time ago.

I built a test attenuator using relays. I use 8 relays, so I get a range
of 48dB. The attenuation from 0 to -31dB is in 1dB steps, and after that
the steps are -33, -34, -36, -39, -42, -48dB and off - 39 steps from
full on to off.

I just used E12 resistors, so the actual steps are not that accurate...

My conclusion so far is that 39 steps are enough, but I think 12 steps
are too little and 24 steps is less than I would like also. But as the
amp I use (2 6SN7 gain stages into a 2A3) is much too sensitive, so I
find that I actually need more steps in the low end. I guess I should
just add a 20dB attenuation on the input of the attenuator - or change
the input stage on the amp to lower the gain... Or perhaps a 7-relay
attenuator with a switchable 20- or 30dB pre-attenuator would be a good
idea?

I have read many places that make before break switches are essential,
and that break before make switches cause clicks and other noise. The
relay switch I use is both I guess, as the relays don't have the exact
same switch time. But I get no noises at all - I can adjust the volume
setting with no problems and without muting. Are the clicks only a
problem on direct coupled SS amps?

If anybody's interested the schematic can be seen he
http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/8bitatt.gif

And the mono prototype can be seen here (behind the big, grey monster):
http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/00000005.jpg

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen