Kalman Rubinson

Default The 1812 Overture and Tonearms

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:48:26 GMT, (Clive
Backham) wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 05:05:16 -0400,
(Barry Mann) wrote:

A common saga about that LP. -- Yes, some (often cheap) turntables can
play through that section without being thrown off, but nothing could
"play" that record as cut. The report I heard was that, due to a
cutting flaw in the first release, a turntable would have to reverse
direction for an instant in order to follow the record surface exactly.

Sorry, this doesn't make sense. How does a cutting lathe produce a
retrograde cut without itself reversing direction during the cut?
As I recall that LP, it was simply a case of an enormous recorded
velocity that was pretty well impossible to track with *any*
cartridge, even the super-compliant ones like the V15.

I did track it successfully but only with the SMEIII/Ortofon SME30H.

Kal