Barry Mann

Default The 1812 Overture and Tonearms

In , on
07/27/03
at 10:16 AM, (Don Nebel) said:

Several years ago I had purchased a Telarc album of The 1812 Overture
and a M&K Direct to Disc album titled the Power and The Glory.

[ ... ]
The tone arm went skating across the album.

A common saga about that LP. -- Yes, some (often cheap) turntables can
play through that section without being thrown off, but nothing could
"play" that record as cut. The report I heard was that, due to a
cutting flaw in the first release, a turntable would have to reverse
direction for an instant in order to follow the record surface exactly.

I question the wisdom of that store for throwing you out. Everyone in
the trade learned about that record, and those who knew what they were
doing could come across as true experts by explaining why that record
was essentially un-playable. (by the way, if you play the thing often
enough, that surface flaw may break off and give your turntable some
relief)

If I was faced with that certain kind of customer who came in with the
obvious intent of surprising and/or embarrassing me while trying to
play that cut (somehow thinking I was too inexperienced or dumb to know
what was about to happen), I'd pick an amplifier with an easy to blow
and replace fuse, then let him have his way (no, I'm not sexist -- but
it was always men who did that). When the fuse blew, the customer was
either embarrassed or elated, but always left quickly and ended the
pointless exchange.

I don't think it is a good idea to use the criteria of being able to
play that LP as the foundation of your arm-cartridge choices.

SPAM:

wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)
[sorry about the puzzle, SPAMers are ruining my mailbox]