Default fix audio files

Repair may not be the right word, I have a few wav files that I made
by recording streaming audio on the net. I wanted to record news
events that were available in audio format on new's websites. Some
were Real audio and others were windows media. They were not
downloadable nor did I find the file in my cache after I played the
stream. Sometimes the audio file is cached. I didn't have the right
software at the time to make better recordings.
I would open up and start a recording application and then start the
stream. I would pre-set my levels with a number of dry runs. Windows
built in mixer controls have a VU meter of sorts as does my recording
program. So I had a sense of the proper level.
I'm recording only voice. On playback the audio is a little "tinnie"
and as if I hear a subltle ringing. Is this a phasing sound? Any way I
thought there might be a way to improve the sound. I have
cooleditPro2 and tried some things with no luck.
I did a few short dry runs with a program that is designed to record
audio streams. First impression is that is was lacking something.
any help would be great.
Greg