chris

Default can amp stand make a difference

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
news:rhS%a.171115$Ho3.21266@sccrnsc03...
chris wrote:
I had tended not to believe in such for SS amps but I have heard some
changes by using a platform (I know anacdoteal evidance only, but as I'm

not
going for a nobel prize, I didnt look at collecting any quantifiable

data)
my ears were enough for me to know something was happening.

I see this statement *a lot* on audiophile forums. It seems to speak
of some sort of logical conflict within subjectivist. On the one hand,

they
acknowledge implicitly that the best-quality, most reliable
determination of audible difference -- presumably the one used by
'Nobel prizewinners' -- involves controls for bias. On the other
hand they insist that their ears are enough to 'know' that something
was happening.

Here we go again: nit-picking over selected parts of a general statement.
but I will answer this point. I was given the opertuninty to question a
manufacture over a peice of their kit (the platform) and they accepted my
chalange and offered to prove their claim or disprove my view. At the time I
heard this I did not have a single piece of test equipment with me, save for
a binural spectrum analizer linked to a megaflop parallel processing
computer but as it didnt have a chart recorder nor a display unit connected
so no perminant record was possible except for my memory noteing a
differance. But differances were noted, therfore something was happening - -
Not subjectivist nor in conflict, nor bigoted. just a subjective
observation. As an engineer I tend to beleive in things that work !! wether
they fit with the considered view (which is often not of science but
"scientific fashon" of the day) My view is: if i can here a differance then
it should be measurable as well, and to increase our understanding where
posible it should be measured and recorded by what ever means.
Nor am I so arrogant to asume that cos I lernt xyz at college, zxy is wrong,
or that I have all the answers, (because in 95+% of fits of; "I know best",
I usually get proven WRONG). Like most things they teach its to get you
through the exams and if it teaches you to think independantly as well -
that's an extra. After all the still teach electricians that the charge
carrier is the electon. probably because the plumbers doing the conversion
course could not get thier heads around E-M field theory.

Before spending any money on isolation why dont you try a little

experiment
yourself. Since your in the bedroom, put the amp on a piece of wood or

MDF
and put a pillow between it and the shelf. if you dont hear a differance
then dont waste your money.

Of course, if he 'knows' he heard a difference, but it's only based
on this test, then it's quite likely he still wasted his money.

Now picking apart a simple turn of phrase - - did you fail your bar
qualifcation ? or are you just being supersilious ?

this test : does his amp need a isolation platform ? what other test was
under discussion here? or do you have a bank of them he should apply,
before doing anything else. And who should then verify the results. thats
what I meant by not going for the nobel prize or are you volunteering to
make a room and furnish it the same as his just to make sure that no
possible voodoo is being done. and publish the results in AES or other.

At the end of the day I was just trying to help this guy out with my
thoughts - - this was what I thought fora were about or is RAHE something
else?

But getting slagged off, for "IMHO thoughts" seems to be what RAHE is all
about.
All it does is to stifle discussion (by scaring people away who don't want
to go head to head with someone over nearly every posting) and fails to
improve knowledge and understanding of the members, or its membership.

If someone doesn't know or is misguided then HELP THEM:
DON'T slag them, or tease something from their words that was not intended
or mis-put, most of us are only human.