Leonard

Default The sound of speaker cables..insights

Ref: ...at some point getting better speakers started
making a difference in being able to hear differences
in speaker cables?

Ah..yes...Mr. Williams, this is really not relevant here.
..or is this a big "tongue in cheek" issue? Good! I admire
how you've tweaked this ole warhorse of an idea.

The responses you gather here are from a contingent that
is somewhat "ego" involved with this "cable difference"
thingy! Subjectivism...amps improving, speakers improving
and perhaps all this work does make for a wider set of
variables in the hobby! Possible..but one must contend with
the mindset that "all is the same"...and this "audio manifesto"
has been set in stone within the mental processes of those
controlled by pre-conceived processes. The ego has gotten
involved and begins to protect itself with a form of "Objectivist"
slew..in a field called Audio! Once the sound reaches the ear/mind
construct and all of its "devious workings"...it all becomes
"Subjective" and nothing else. That Subjectivism has a billion
variables and cannot be rectified by any form of Objectivism. That
struggle has been going on here for decades. It has provided much
entertainment for those of us who observe, it provides much
"fodder" for this interesting NewsGroup. It cannot be resolved,
only discussed. The Objective template will not fit over the
Subjective rational. Period!!

To the "newbie" in this ole Audio structure I recommend as befo

If a cable sounds more right to you...get it. If an Amp has some
quality that sounds right to you..get it. ...ad infinitum. No
one lives with the variables that you have within your ear/mind
construct. Beware of those that would suggest that "your
decision" is somehow faulty. Do be open-minded, but trust your
own whims!

Also, if you prefer a certain brand of Speaker or Amplifier for
no good reason..however, to you it seems better, then by all
means put a spotlight on the Logo when you listen...be happy
with your decision...your audio illusions will be more
realistic. That is what it is all about!! Feed those
illusions..they are deeply inside and are subjective..unique to
you! As mentioned before, the music will bloom and flair just a
bit more. Enjoy the music! Enjoy the illusion our ear/mind
construct creates for us. Always...it is Subjective!

Leonard...

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 01:16:10 +0000, Wylie Williams wrote:

I recall in olden days Consumer Reports tested speakers with a method
that compared speakers under test with their reference(AR3a). It was an
elaborate system that they considered scientific, to see how closely
other speakers could mimic the sound of the AR, but I wondered how it
was able to distinguish a speaker with better resolution than the AR3a.
This if prefatory to a conversation with an audiophile friend today. I
mentioned that I was not quite pleased with my system's sound. He asked
"Haven't you listened to those Tara Labs cables the rep loaned you? ( I
have some expensive ones on loan, and some much cheaper ones I own and
use) I replied that I had but hadn't heard enough difference to be
sure it was real. Certainly no significant improvement to my ears. His
reply was that the problem is probably that my speakers are too low on
the food chain to discern the difference, and offered to loan me his
when he goes out of town soon. He says I'll hear the difference then.
This raises an interesting point about all those listening tests we hear
about. Maybe the speakers in the tests have too little resolution to
allow differences to be heard.
Have any of the subjectivist RAHE members (surely some exist) had the
experience of discovering that a some point getting better speakers
started making a difference in being able to hear dfferences in the
sound of speaker cables?

Wylie Williams