Nousaine

Default The sound of speaker cables

"Wylie Williams" wrote:

I recall in olden days Consumer Reports tested speakers with a method
that compared speakers under test with their reference(AR3a). It was an
elaborate system that they considered scientific, to see how closely other
speakers could mimic the sound of the AR, but I wondered how it was able to
distinguish a speaker with better resolution than the AR3a.
This if prefatory to a conversation with an audiophile friend today. I
mentioned that I was not quite pleased with my system's sound. He asked
"Haven't you listened to those Tara Labs cables the rep loaned you? ( I have
some expensive ones on loan, and some much cheaper ones I own and use) I
replied that I had but hadn't heard enough difference to be sure it was
real. Certainly no significant improvement to my ears.

Let me refresh my recollection here. Aren't you an audio retailer? Don't you
have 20+ years of experience?

His reply was that the problem is probably that my speakers are too low on
the food chain to discern the difference, and offered to loan me his when he
goes out of town soon. He says I'll hear the difference then.
This raises an interesting point about all those listening tests we hear
about. Maybe the speakers in the tests have too little resolution to allow
differences to be heard.

Sure that's the oft-heard response: YOU or your SYSTEM aren't GOOD ENOUGH.
Tell me why no retailer or manufacturer has been able to produce a replicable
experiment that shows that their wire has ANY effect, let alone a POSITIVE
effect on sound quality?

Have any of the subjectivist RAHE members (surely some exist) had the
experience of discovering that a some point getting better speakers started
making a difference in being able to hear dfferences in the sound of speaker
cables?

you might get a response; but not one that is at a level above anecdote. Trying
to make a testable proposition a popularity contest is a good try but it isn't
'evidence.'