Erwin Timmerman

Default Louder _ISN'T_ Better (With Lossy)

Lord Hasenpfeffer wrote:

Despite all of this processing, all 8 final WAVs sound "normal" to me.
By the time I got to -40dB, I'd have expected the final MP3-WAV to
sound pretty crappy but it doesn't - at least not by any degree which I
would expect it to sound.

What does this tell you? Exactly.

Good to learn a thing or 2 though about the background process. But the end
result doesn't seem to suffer as much as you've thought. If 40 dB doesn't
matter much (although I'd say that amount should even matter with
uncompressed 16 bit audio!), think about how insignificant a change 5 dB
would make to the sound.

As a side-topic: on your own web site you write:

"MykecEdit, MykecView and all original content used to render this webpage
is copyright 2001-2003 by Myke Carter. All rights reserved. Unauthorized
duplication and/or use of any content contained herein is a violation of
applicable laws and just plain rude, so don't do that"

I hope you will treat your generated mp3's the same way, as far as the
original copyright owners are concerned...

Erwin Timmerman