Lord Hasenpfeffer

Default Louder _ISN'T_ Better (With Lossy)

Erwin Timmerman wrote:

http://ee1.bradley.edu/~jodaman/dev/mp3/lame.html

OK, so there's the answer, at least for the LAME encoder. The ATH level is
dynamically adjusted to content. I must say that some other websites are not too
clear about it, and just talk about the FM-curve and that they apply it. To
what? To FS?

That seemed strange to me all along with all the varying playback levels that
can occur. And indeed now it shows that the effect is dynamically applied. Thus
changing the volume of a wave file does nothing but change the ATH level with
it. No difference whatsoever. No frequencies kicked out.

End of story.

This is definitely a good lead. This page does seem to indicate that at
least the _point of reference_ for the scale changes on a frame-by-frame
basis based upon the loudness of the maximum peak within each frame
rather than remaining fixed at digital Full Scale. The implications of
this, however, I do not yet fully comprehend therefore as far as I'm
concerned it is still a bit premature to declare "End of story" as you
so eagerly have. Nevertheless, I hope you are correct.

Myke

--

Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!