Arny Krueger

Default DVDr vs CDr.

"Gareth Hardy" wrote in
message
With the price of stand-alone DVD recorders coming down to reasonable
levels do you think it would be a good idea to buy a DVD recorder for
my home audio system, (using it, in part, to preserve old analog
recordings), and just skip buying a CD recorder altogether? (I've got
a burner for my pc, but that's all.) What would be the pluses and
minuses of doing this? Thanks for any comments.

Ever hear of using computers for audio?

It works!

Advantages of CDR:
Portability - you can use them in your car, at your mates etc
Price - CDR can be obtained for about 20% the price of a DVD-R
Readiness - Sounds like you already have the kit you need.

Advantages of DVDR:

Higher resolution - up to 96KHz compared to 44.1KHz for CD audio)

No audible benefits.

More space - A CDR has just 16% the capacity of a DVDR

Good point, but in fact most practical CD-R's are full of empty space, as
actually used.

More compression options - Dolby, MPEG1 and 2, and (of course)
uncompressed.

Right

Disadvantages of DVD-R:

(1) DVD-R drives are at least 3-4x more expensive than CD-R drives.

(2) Recording software to actually exploit the hardware capabilities of the
DVD can be relatively expensive. We're talking $100's versus free.

(3) DVD-Rs are relatively slow recorders of CD-Rs.