Arny Krueger

Default DVDr vs CDr.

"Gareth Hardy" wrote in
message
Wrong. Since you admit you don't know what you are talking about,
let me tell you the basics.

Thanks, Arny. That's all I needed. The silence from buckaroo is
deafening (or is that a sampling rate problem).

I still don't really understand, but thanks for trying. My
understanding now is that if decoded properly, the same WAV file (say
a tuba) will sound the same at 32KHz, 48Khz and 96KHz because having
extra samples at low frequency will only smooth out to what the DAC
would have done with fewer samples anyway (I think).

The understanding I want you to have is that a 96 KHz WAV file (say of a
tuba) will sound the same at 32KHz, 44 Khz and 96KHz, as long as the extra
high frequency extension afforded by the higher sample rate doesn't have any
audible consequences.

For example, a 96 KHz .WAV file won't sound the same if properly downsampled
to 22 KHz because chopping off all information above 11 KHz often DOES have
audible consequences.

OTOH, a 96 KHz wave file will sound the same if properly downsampled to 44.1
KHz because chopping off all information above 22 KHz generally DOESN'T have
audible consequences.

Anybody who doesn't believe me need only listen for themselves to the files
freely downloadable at http://www.pcabx.com/technical/sample_rates/index.htm
.. Be sure to use one of the DBT test coordinators freely downloadable from
http://www.pcabx.com/program/index.htm , and follow the instructions posted
at http://www.pcabx.com/training/getting_started.htm .