David

Default DVDr vs CDr.

"Gareth Hardy" wrote in message ...
With the price of stand-alone DVD recorders coming down to reasonable
levels do you think it would be a good idea to buy a DVD recorder for
my home audio system, (using it, in part, to preserve old analog
recordings), and just skip buying a CD recorder altogether? (I've got
a burner for my pc, but that's all.) What would be the pluses and
minuses of doing this? Thanks for any comments.

Advantages of CDR:
Portability - you can use them in your car, at your mates etc
Price - CDR can be obtained for about 20% the price of a DVD-R
Readiness - Sounds like you already have the kit you need.

Advantages of DVDR:
Higher resolution - up to 96KHz compared to 44.1KHz for CD audio)
More space - A CDR has just 16% the capacity of a DVDR
More compression options - Dolby, MPEG1 and 2, and (of course) uncompressed.

A dvdr is the same as 7 cdr and you can get a good dvdr disc for less
than £1.00 now.

25 dvd-r for less than £20(remember thats the same as 175 cdr discs).

David