Scott Dorsey

Default Sticking pair of Mics in stryofoam dummy head.....

Richard Kuschel wrote:

Wasen't there a head and shoulder mic (or what ever it was called) at abby
road studios.It was a head on a boomstand with microphones in the ears.I
remember seeing pictures of it years ago.It was some outrageous amount of
money for it.Anyone ever seen or used one of these ???.

There is a "head and shoulder" mic built by DPA that fits the description.
$18000.00 the last I checked. Probably more now with the exchange rate.

It's called a Kunstkopf. Neumann makes one (and I think Abbey Road has
the Neumann). DPA makes one. HEAD Acoustics makes one.

This is the tool used for binaural recording, and it works very well for
that. If you look for John Sunier's web site "Binaural Source" he has a
lot of sample binaural recordings that you can listen to on your computer
through headphones to get a sense of how it works.

Binaural recording is amazingly realistic and gives a better sense of space
than anything else around, but because it requires headphone playback, the
market is kind of limited.