Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Remasters

"Edmund" wrote in message

"glenbadd" schreef in bericht
On Oct 8, 11:34=A0pm, "Edmund"
wrote:

An optimization required for CD is that none of the
peaks exceed the range of the ADC. Good CDs will never
reach the magic 0dB. Unfortunately I have many popular
CDs that are mastered such that there cann be hundreds
of 0dB peaks (with square tops on the waveforms) on
every track, as highlighted in red by loading ripped WAV
tracks into Audacity. The dreaded Loudness Wars!

G.

Are you sure? That seems extremely odd to me since
avoiding clipping is a very basic requirement for digital
recording.

People engaged in the "loudness wars" have been flouting the usual
prohibitions against clipping for at least a decade.

I am not familiar with Audacity but I happen to know that
at least some programs show a wave as a straight line
between the samples instead of rebuilding the proper wave
form.

If Audacity or Audition, or CoolEdit Pro show clipping, there was no doubt
clipping.

Therefore it may look like a square wave or top but
in reality it isn't.

If there are a row of samples right up against or parallel to FS, it is some
kind of clipping.

Do you have a title of such a CD for me?

http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicdeath.htm

Amy Grant - Heart In Motion (A&M 75021 5321 2)

"Alas, in the highly competitive pop music world, something had to give; who
was first to do it may be lost to history, but by this time, the trend
towards the reduction of the CD's quality and dynamic range had already
begun. In this particular case, not only do many songs on the CD reach
maximum peak level, a number of these peaks in each song are also
"clipped" -- an instance where the top and/or bottom of the waveform has
been "flat-topped" or "hacked off" because it ran into the brick wall known
as the 100% / 0 dB limit.
This is evident by looking at the waveform graph of Track 3:
"

This is BTW the third "hit" in a google search that took me about 10 seconds
to do. If I was serious about doing my homework... ;-)