Joseph Oberlander

Default Looking for speaker recomendations - Under $1500 / pair

Kurt wrote:
On 14 Jul 2003 04:47:47 GMT, Joseph Oberlander
wrote:

Jack Dotson wrote:

When properly set-up and with the right amplification I don't think there is
a better deal in the speaker world than the Maggie's.

I concur. The MMGs for instance, at $550 a pair, are shockingly good
for that amount of money.

People rag on them and say they aren't full range and so on - but
name me ONE $550 speaker that does what it does. For what it is,
it is a superb deal. Incredible, in fact - and a sign of just how
overpriced and shoddy conventional speakers in that price range
really are.

I bought my first set of Maggies (MMG) about 8 months ago. I was a
confirmed Vandersteen fan, having graduated from the 1b's to the 2Ce.
I built myself a set of stands for about $25 at Home Deopt, see the
URL below for the instructions I used:

One thing, though. Outlaw Audio makes their ICBM module. This
is an external crossover made specifically to mate Magnepans and
Subwoofers(or other silmmilar speakers like electrostatics). It
really makes it sound a lot better.

http://www.outlawaudio.com//products/icbm.html

What it does is pre-filter the audio signal so that the speakers
are only sent music to a certain point. Ie - you can set the
cutoff on the MMGs at 60hz and no matter how loud you drive the
setup, you aren't trying to send 30-40hz information to the speakers
anymore.